Pod Your Reef

Noob coral questions

Noobreefer90

Ok I have just setup my first saltwater tank it’s a 14g biocube has live rock and sand in it so far.  Was wondering when it comes time to get coral and etc do all corals need to be fed and what’s best to feed them maybe some liquids I can just pour in the tank 

Some people belive in a heavy feeding regimen while others have success without feeding at all. 

I'd do some research and based on your tank and setup decide what sounds best. 

I personally feed corals once a week using reef roids. 

15 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Some people belive in a heavy feeding regimen while others have success without feeding at all. 

I'd do some research and based on your tank and setup decide what sounds best. 

I personally feed corals once a week using reef roids. 

C4E026E2-C179-4F26-802B-72CDA2A3E7F1.thumb.png.2c74d0b3f2f9e6ccefebe63fb2f8f796.pngthis?  Is this good for any coral 

heres some I have looked at at my pet store 

anthelia

Green star polyps

Few mushrooms 

Zoanthid frags

trumpets 

anemone   Pink tip Condy 

I've found that you really need to try to overdose it for it to have any noticeable effect. 

I don't measure it really, just feed each coral and my levels are always the same and never out of hand. 

I mean don't dump a tap in a 10 gallon, just use common sense. 

59 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Yea. I mix a little up with water, then try to target feed each Lps polyp, except chalices I just spray, and I spray a cloud over my sps and zoas. 

Can I target feed any and all corals

48 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I've found that you really need to try to overdose it for it to have any noticeable effect. 

I don't measure it really, just feed each coral and my levels are always the same and never out of hand. 

I mean don't dump a tap in a 10 gallon, just use common sense. 

Yeah I used a different kind and used it sparingly. It was Reef chili and it caused problems. Maybe its more potent than Reef roids

• Like 1

How would I measure out how much I need for 14g tank.  What do I do just spray a little on each coral. Doesn’t matter where just in that general area 

The directions say 1/2tsp per 25g. So I'd do about 1/4tsp.

You can either just spray it throuout the tank(broadcast feed) or target individual corals. i prefer the latter. But unless they're large polyp Lps, like acans or euphillyia, I just squirt a bit over them. 

I like to broadcast feed reef roids or aquaforest lps powder 1 time a week.

I use a pinch of each because it does increase nutrient levels if too much is used.

I add it to a small container of water then pour in high flow area.

Day of waterchange I use frozen cyclops and meaty foods like mysis or pellets and target feed lps and sps. Any liquid left with cyclops gets broadcast. This is done with all water movement off.

3 hours ago, Noobreefer90 said:

C4E026E2-C179-4F26-802B-72CDA2A3E7F1.thumb.png.2c74d0b3f2f9e6ccefebe63fb2f8f796.pngthis?  Is this good for any coral 

anthelia

Green star polyps

Few mushrooms 

Zoanthid frags

trumpets 

anemone   Pink tip Condy 

DO. NOT. GET. THE. NEM. theyre completly unsuitable for beginners and actually arent a coral

3 hours ago, Noobreefer90 said:

anthelia

Green star polyps

Few mushrooms 

Zoanthid frags

trumpets 

anemone   Pink tip Condy 

Corals can really vary from one to the next. I like to scope out the ones I like from my LFS like you did, then go home and research them before I buy them. Two of my favorite sources of info are LiveAquaria and Tidal Gardens. Check out links to each site for anthelia, the first coral on your list. 

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/694/?pcatid=694

https://www.tidalgardens.com/stock-pink-anthelia.html

Anthelia spreads really fast, as do green star polyps, and can be difficult to control. Definitely hold off on any type of anemone for the time being until your tank is much more established and you can research which type is best. 

I personally would skip on the nem and skip on feeding for now.  All those coral are good beginner coral and dont really require feeding if you have fish in there with them.  

Practice getting the hang of the tank with these forgiving coral and then move your way up to more difficult ones that would benefit from actual food pieces. 

Do read up on the nitrogen cycle and testing. Your tests will tell you when you are okay to add things.  

4 hours ago, patback said:

I personally would skip on the nem and skip on feeding for now.  All those coral are good beginner coral and dont really require feeding if you have fish in there with them.  

Practice getting the hang of the tank with these forgiving coral and then move your way up to more difficult ones that would benefit from actual food pieces. 

Do read up on the nitrogen cycle and testing. Your tests will tell you when you are okay to add things.  

+1 totally agree

6 hours ago, Noobreefer90 said:

Why skip in the nem

Nems are invertebrates, not coral, and need very stable tanks. It's recommended to wait at least six months before adding a nem to a new tank. New tanks go through ugly phases and instability until they find their groove, so to speak. 

Most nems offered in the hobby are not appropriate for nano tanks. They require strong lighting and can get big. If, after 6 months to a year, you are still interested, look into rock flower anemones and bubble tip anemones. 

Also, if you're interested in nems as a host for clownfish, clowns don't need nems and often host other corals or objects. 

• Like 2