inTank Media Baskets

Toadstool question ID help

dcknipe

So I was given this Toadstool today.  I think it's pink/peach colored.  Are their certain types? Is this a long tentacle? 

Does the coloration look correct? Healthy? 

20181102_203634.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dcknipe said:

So I was given this Toadstool today.  I think it's pink/peach colored.  Are their certain types? Is this a long tentacle? 

Does the coloration look correct? Healthy? 

20181102_203634.jpg

Looks good so far. It definitely seems to have longer Polyps but I don’t know if that makes it a special type.  Usually they look like shit for a few days. 

It looks fine. It looks like a normal leather coral. Don't be surprised if it turns into a devil's hand instead of a toadstool. 

Things of note when it comes to leather corals:

They're hardy.

They like medium light.

They like medium flow.

They get most of their nutrition from light and what they can absorb from your tank water.

Leathers are known for a few things:

1) They secrete a growth limiting chemical cocktail to slow down the growth of adjacent corals. As they lack sweeper tentacles, this is pretty much their only means of defense on the reef, which is to outgrow their competing coral neighbors. So, water changes and running carbon or another good chemical media in your tank and changing it out often can help your tank.

2) Leathers like this often get overgrown by diatoms and other algaes on the surface of their skin. It's very common to see a leather shrink up and refuse to expand for a few days, then blow up like a balloon while shedding it's outer layer of skin. It's important to have a little moderate flow on them at this time. This is normal behavior.

3) They're very easy to frag. There's tons of videos on youtube on how to frag them. Once yours has overgrown it's space, consider fragging it for fun and profit.

• Like 2

Looks normal. It may lighten up as it opens up more and grows. They are fast growers but do close up and shed often so don't be alarmed if it closes up. 

There are long polyp toadstools. Look up weeping willow toadstool.

They are really pretty. Once your corals fully opens you will be able to tell if yours has long polyps.

All the toadstools I have had enjoyed light(not direct high light), coloured up better with good lighting, and they like flow.

Low flow causes detritus to build on them making them close up and shed more often.

Here was my long polyp toadstool

20180525_212111.jpg

• Like 2

It's in a direct wave flow pattern from my kps.  It should get all the flow it wants.  

It will end up mid tank in my nuvo 10 under a kessil a80.  So it should get moderate light. 

I'll update this thread if it looks different after a dew days of being in my tank

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, OPtasia said:

Oh man it's gonna way outgrow that tank in no time. 🙂 Should be fun.

My whole tank will be interesting lol. Toadstool, Kenya tree, xenia, Duncans, zoas, setosa, lepto, pavona, meteor shower, yumas, shrooms

The kenya tree is going to grow fast like the leather. Xenia will grow to plague proportions in no time. Depending on the zoas, those will also grow like mad. Discosoma mushrooms also grow like nuts from pedal laceration. Everything else should grow at a slow steady pace.

Honestly I like all the movement. I'm kind of a cheap date. I keep my aqamai kps on wave mode so it's ultra relaxing to just sit and watch. 

I'm upgrading from a kessil a80 to an ai prime HD in a few weeks so I imagine stuff will really start to take off. 

• Like 1
On 11/4/2018 at 7:28 AM, OPtasia said:

The kenya tree is going to grow fast like the leather. Xenia will grow to plague proportions in no time. Depending on the zoas, those will also grow like mad. Discosoma mushrooms also grow like nuts from pedal laceration. Everything else should grow at a slow steady pace.

In your experience, do they pretty much grow at the same pace - kenya tree vs toadstool leather?  I bought a toadstool and moved it around and managed to kill it. I'd really like to try a toadstool again though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 10:34 PM, OPtasia said:

It looks fine. It looks like a normal leather coral. Don't be surprised if it turns into a devil's hand instead of a toadstool. 

Things of note when it comes to leather corals:

They're hardy.

They like medium light.

They like medium flow.

They get most of their nutrition from light and what they can absorb from your tank water.

Leathers are known for a few things:

1) They secrete a growth limiting chemical cocktail to slow down the growth of adjacent corals. As they lack sweeper tentacles, this is pretty much their only means of defense on the reef, which is to outgrow their competing coral neighbors. So, water changes and running carbon or another good chemical media in your tank and changing it out often can help your tank.

2) Leathers like this often get overgrown by diatoms and other algaes on the surface of their skin. It's very common to see a leather shrink up and refuse to expand for a few days, then blow up like a balloon while shedding it's outer layer of skin. It's important to have a little moderate flow on them at this time. This is normal behavior.

3) They're very easy to frag. There's tons of videos on youtube on how to frag them. Once yours has overgrown it's space, consider fragging it for fun and profit.

+1 about it possibly being a devils hand. i bought a toadstool (my first coral) that turned out to be a devils hand. it was still a very neat coral