Innovative Marine Aquariums

OK to Remove from QT?

SeaFurn

I got these two on Oct 5 and immediately put them in QT for observation.  They have been doing great - eating well, active, and don't appear to have any diseases or parasites.  I was thinking about moving them out of QT and into the DT this weekend.  Should I wait another week or two just to be safe?

• Like 1

Two weeks minimum. Four is better. Six is great.

Quarantine is vitally important to saltwater setups that have already been established. Control and prevention of parasites and diseases when you're looking at so much money being invested in our tanks is vital. 

• Like 2

If they're doing well in the qt an extra week or two in there wouldn't hurt just to make sure, but I understand the itch to just throw them in. If you're confident then put them in, but there is nothing wrong with being overly cautious as long as the fish are doing well.

• Like 1

I had ich show up at 4 weeks on the dot on a angelfish in QT, the fish was perfectly healthy and eating like a pig. That being said, sometimes I don't QT the full 4-6 weeks, usually because the fish has some special diet (pods or algae) or is a type prone to stress easily. I tend to do at least 4 weeks on easy keeper fish and I would do 6 on tangs, angelfish or anything from a suspicious source. 

On 11/2/2018 at 4:21 PM, OPtasia said:

Two weeks minimum. Four is better. Six is great.

Quarantine is vitally important to saltwater setups that have already been established. Control and prevention of parasites and diseases when you're looking at so much money being invested in our tanks is vital. 

Yeah I’ve read about too many bad endings from people here who didn’t QT. Glad I’m doing it from the start. 

2 hours ago, jesseatam said:

If they're doing well in the qt an extra week or two in there wouldn't hurt just to make sure, but I understand the itch to just throw them in. If you're confident then put them in, but there is nothing wrong with being overly cautious as long as the fish are doing well.

I’m just being impatient. 

Not related to QT but a little concerned that the dartfish freaks out when I go

to do a water change and jumps out of the tank every time.

Maybe in the bigger tank he will have some room to escape from the siphon tube and won’t fly out of the tank. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I had ich show up at 4 weeks on the dot on a angelfish in QT, the fish was perfectly healthy and eating like a pig. That being said, sometimes I don't QT the full 4-6 weeks, usually because the fish has some special diet (pods or algae) or is a type prone to stress easily. I tend to do at least 4 weeks on easy keeper fish and I would do 6 on tangs, angelfish or anything from a suspicious source. 

Yeah I think that’s what I was worried about - that ich would show up right about now

for whatever reason. I’m just going to wait another 2 weeks. Thought it was better to ask some others to help cure my impatience. I think part of my impatience is the feeling that the 10g QT tank is too small for the dartfish. The 6 line is tiny so doesn’t seem so bad for

it. 

1 hour ago, OPtasia said:

Both of those fish are jumpers. You'll need a covered tank.

Both my QT and the main tank are covered - it just comes off for water changes/maintenance but that’s when it has been jumping. 

Do you think it will get used to the routine? 

It's not the routine so much as the panic control. These fish are genetically programmed to jump as a startle response. That means they'll jump in response to being startled. Lights coming on, accidentally touching a tank mate at night, sudden movements in the room, etc..

Having lots of caves and hiding holes in your tank will help curb jumping responses, but it can happen at any time. Just remember if you don't see one of the fish to look all around the tank immediately. If you're lucky you might be able to get the fish back in the water.

• Thanks 1

theyre both beautiful! hope you enjoy your sixline. mine is possibly the best fish ive ever owned. he is supect for eating two hermits though, so keep an eye on him

On 11/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, SeaFurn said:

Yeah I think that’s what I was worried about - that ich would show up right about now

for whatever reason. I’m just going to wait another 2 weeks. Thought it was better to ask some others to help cure my impatience. I think part of my impatience is the feeling that the 10g QT tank is too small for the dartfish. The 6 line is tiny so doesn’t seem so bad for

it. 

yeah, another two weeks just to be sure. you can never be too careful in this hobby.

2 hours ago, BlennyBoi said:

theyre both beautiful! hope you enjoy your sixline. mine is possibly the best fish ive ever owned. he is supect for eating two hermits though, so keep an eye on him

yeah, another two weeks just to be sure. you can never be too careful in this hobby.

My six line is really small and seems to be really laid back. He’s got a great personality and gets along the dartfish - which surprises me given it’s only a 10gal QT and not a lot room.  I know they can be real bastards though. I’m hoping that adding him when he’s small will set the stage for good behavior down the road. Maybe I’m just fooling myself! We shall see.