Pod Your Reef

ID help needed

MK1623

20 minutes ago, MK1623 said:

What is this hitchhiker?  It is tiny (about 5 mm) and is on glass.  It came with new corals. Is it good one or a bad guy? 

D3A38AE3-A12A-451B-BF25-9F9ADD9A960B.jpeg

Asterina Starfish. Generally a good guy. 

• Like 1
That dank Reefer
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Definitely asterina, if there’s tons you can always throw a harlequin shrimp in... but they’ll eat them so fast they’ll run out of food lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Yah, generally a good guy. Asterina are funny though. Every once on a while I’ll find one draped over a zoa or paly head, apparently munching on the tentacles. I have lost one polyp this way. But overall they seem to prefer algae. I pretty much let them be, occasionally cutting down their numbers during water changes.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, That dank Reefer said:

Definitely asterina, if there’s tons you can always throw a harlequin shrimp in... but they’ll eat them so fast they’ll run out of food lol

Thank you very much!!!

1 hour ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Yah, generally a good guy. Asterina are funny though. Every once on a while I’ll find one draped over a zoa or paly head, apparently munching on the tentacles. I have lost one polyp this way. But overall they seem to prefer algae. I pretty much let them be, occasionally cutting down their numbers during water changes.

I see.

Thank you.  I will keep eye on it!  Thank you. 

When I get them on frags I remove them, personally. Some people end up with them multiplying so fast they can be a pest, some varieties can eat corals, but some people really like them and intentionally add them to their tank.