Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Magnesium and calc. Off the charts

DOJOLOACH

The tank has been runnimg 9 months.  Noally calcium is 450ppm and mag is1350... now with myunexpired salifert kits, thereadings are so high theyre off the chart. Could the tests have gone bad somehow?

They expire in 2023, never had this issie before 

Have you done anything that would drastically elevate those parameters? If not it's likely the tests. I'd get a second opinion somehow, either a lfs or buy new tests. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't call that off the charts. You sure its not what your salt mix runs? My salt runs 400 Ca and 1400ish Mg last I checked it. 

Are you dosing anything?

Not sure if there have been reported casualties from very high calcium levels, however, magnesium off the charts I assume over 2000 would kill all inverts for sure. Your tests might be bad. 

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I wouldn't call that off the charts. You sure its not what your salt mix runs? My salt runs 400 Ca and 1400ish Mg last I checked it. 

Are you dosing anything?

I think he was referring to those numbers as to what he was getting before. Now they're off the charts and tests can't even give him a number.

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Are you dosing anything?

Those were his usual parameters. 

4 minutes ago, Andreww said:

I think he was referring to those numbers as to what he was getting before. Now they're off the charts and tests can't even give him a number.

4 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Those were his usual parameters. 

Oh my bad.. I didn't catch the misspelled word. Woops.

OP: I have had Mg high enough I had to fill a 2nd pipette and keep adding, you can still calculate both. Every 0.1 mL is so much Ca and Mg, I don't know the chart by memory but hopefully you get what I am trying to say 😛 

• Thanks 1

I do. Im goingto test some fresh mixed water and see what the results are. Unless my salt mix just went wonky, they should be in normal parameters. This will tell meif its the testkits or not

Ok, now im very confused. My normal parameters at a water change, one week after, and also still with the new water still in the bucket have always been the same at:

Calcium   450
Magnesium  1350

Alk  8.6

Now after interpolating the charts I now read these values (Both intank and in a fresh batch of saltwater)

Calcium  570

Magnesium  1570

Alk   10.9

I'm still using the same salt bucket, Im about halfway through it. Sometimes the salt mix is clumped but it easily breaks apart. 

My test kits don't expire until 2021, 2023, and 2023.

Could there be residue in my mixing bucket? I do not rinse it out every use after a water change so there could be a minor amount of deposits on the walls of my 5 gallon bucket.

1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Ok, now im very confused. My normal parameters at a water change, one week after, and also still with the new water still in the bucket have always been the same at:

Calcium   450
Magnesium  1350

Alk  8.6

Now after interpolating the charts I now read these values (Both intank and in a fresh batch of saltwater)

Calcium  570

Magnesium  1570

Alk   10.9

I'm still using the same salt bucket, Im about halfway through it. Sometimes the salt mix is clumped but it easily breaks apart. 

My test kits don't expire until 2021, 2023, and 2023.

Could there be residue in my mixing bucket? I do not rinse it out every use after a water change so there could be a minor amount of deposits on the walls of my 5 gallon bucket.

A common practice to properly disperse the salt is, rolling the bucket or stirring the salt.