ReefCleaners.org

IM Fusion 10 Stand ideas

CrushtheTurtle

Ikea makes some wall cabinets that can be used for this. They are called the sektion series I believe. You will find one that fits this tanks dimensions exactly. However you'll need to reinforce it on the inside or back side with 2x4. Another option would actually be to attach it permanently to your wall as if you were hanging it as a cabinet. That would make for a pretty sturdy setup if you hit studs. I think the one I had was 70 bucks

CrushtheTurtle
1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

Ikea makes some wall cabinets that can be used for this. They are called the sektion series I believe. You will find one that fits this tanks dimensions exactly. However you'll need to reinforce it on the inside or back side with 2x4. Another option would actually be to attach it permanently to your wall as if you were hanging it as a cabinet. That would make for a pretty sturdy setup if you hit studs. I think the one I had was 70 bucks

nice, is it this one? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39034631/

a bit more expensive now, also does it have a top or you had to add that?

1 hour ago, Daniel91 said:

ah yeah I thought about this - but its a bit too wide for the space i'll b putting it

CrushtheTurtle
38 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39034631/#/S59214886

Take a look at that one. It's the exact one that I got. There's also a 40" version. But that's just too tall IMO. 

thanks! that looks awesome i might have to try that. also you said it needed to be reinforced? whats the best way to do that (sorry not too handy)

I actually just put three 2x4 across the back. Just to strengthen up the sway from side to side. I think it's strong enough, like the weight of the aquarium wise pushing down. But it had some side to side sketchiness if you know what I mean. 

Good stand though

CrushtheTurtle
18 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I know it's a crude drawing but like this. Two would probably be more than sufficient

IMG_20181030_1537428.jpg

Thanks thats super helpful - sorry for the dumb q's. interesting, so they would just be attached on the back side (sticking out from the back?), is this to offer more stability by connecting the sides. I was thinking of reinforcing with some L brackets inside

• Like 1

That could work too. I just wanted to go overboard to ease the mind. Yes they do stick out from the back but I had spray painted them black and you couldn't really tell once it was pushed up against the wall

Don't put it on carpet either. I'd put it on hard flooring

CrushtheTurtle
On 10/30/2018 at 3:22 PM, ReefGoat said:

That could work too. I just wanted to go overboard to ease the mind. Yes they do stick out from the back but I had spray painted them black and you couldn't really tell once it was pushed up against the wall

Don't put it on carpet either. I'd put it on hard flooring

So I ended up getting the sektion cabinet from ikea, but the tank is only the same dimensions when including the door on the front. Otherwise there is about half inch of hang off. Did you have same issue? If so did u let it hang off in the back or front

4 hours ago, CrushtheTurtle said:

So I ended up getting the sektion cabinet from ikea, but the tank is only the same dimensions when including the door on the front. Otherwise there is about half inch of hang off. Did you have same issue? If so did u let it hang off in the back or front

Back

But remember when I talked about those 2x4 modifications for stability. My top 2x4 was even with the top of the stand and the tank retested on it in the back. I had the 40" which was too tall. So I had three boards top mid and bottom. Once you paint them black or grey and it's pushed against the wall you'll never know the difference. 

CrushtheTurtle
3 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

But remember when I talked about those 2x4 modifications for stability. My top 2x4 was even with the top of the stand and the tank retested on it in the back. I had the 40" which was too tall. So I had three boards top mid and bottom. Once you paint them black or grey and it's pushed against the wall you'll never know the difference. 

Ah yeah. That's what I'm thinking now thanks

• Like 1

IKEA Kallax works great for me as a stand for my Biocube, and my Nuvo 10 is on an IKEA Hemnes shoe rack.

With the Kallax, I would be sure to orient the shelf so the long sides are across the top and bottom, so all of the force from the weight of the tank isn’t resting on the screws, if that makes sense:

—————

|               |

|               |

—————

NOT

|————-|

|                 |

|————-|

064DE98F-81C0-4161-80E9-CA4B7E38EDD0.thumb.jpeg.6f90f5280ccbf8397fb10a95a6590962.jpeg

CrushtheTurtle

Thanks all. Went with the modified ikea kitchen cabinet.

Reinforced inside with some L brackets. Also the legs on the bottom reinforce the sides to bottom panel

CBFDC4DE-C4A7-472A-B5D5-25A9D502FD30.jpeg

7C154388-D581-44F2-B640-912740D966B1.jpeg

36 minutes ago, CrushtheTurtle said:

Thanks all. Went with the modified ikea kitchen cabinet.

Reinforced inside with some L brackets. Also the legs on the bottom reinforce the sides to bottom panel

CBFDC4DE-C4A7-472A-B5D5-25A9D502FD30.jpeg

7C154388-D581-44F2-B640-912740D966B1.jpeg

Check it with a level to make sure it's, well, level lol. It looks like it's leaning a bit in the pic. It does look sharp though!