Coral Vue Hydros

Ich, or Not Ich?

Snow_Phoenix

I think my Starry Blenny, Thanos, has Ich or at least some sort of parasite residing in his gills. I caught him flashing multiple times today along my sandbed, and he's breathing faster than he usually does. He's still eating and swimming normally though. Due to the coloration of his body, I genuinely can't tell if he has/had any white spots or not. None of my other fish - 3 gobies, 1 brotulid (*possibly alive, I haven't seen him in more than a week) & 1 wrasse has displayed any signs or symptoms of any disease.

Can you please help me ID what this might possibly be?

Symptoms:

-Flashing

-Rapid breathing

He's not discolored in any way, but since he's a Starry, he can literally switch shades from deep purple to milky white when the lights are on/off. Gills are also not red or inflamed, but normal.

I'm just very worried for him and I don't want to lose him. I currently don't have any copper on hand, but if this is somehow Ich, I'm willing to get some and begin treatment. Just need to be sure because I don't want to accidently cause additional stress to my fish. Thank you. 

As you said, due to its coloration, almost impossible to see spots on it. So, a few questions: how long have u had it, did you QT/medicate before intro into DT? Flashing can indicate several disease issues, as the organisms often attach at the gills due to readily available blood source. Blennies, being naturally inquisitive, are fairly easy to catch with a water bottle trap. I would consider trapping it out, doing a FW dip (use RODI in a dark bottom container to see any possible flukes drop off) and QTing it for 4 weeks with copper. Also, keep a close eye on the rest of your denizens but if one IS infected it’s probably just a matter of time. My 2 pennies.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

As you said, due to its coloration, almost impossible to see spots on it. So, a few questions: how long have u had it, did you QT/medicate before intro into DT? Flashing can indicate several disease issues, as the organisms often attach at the gills due to readily available blood source. Blennies, being naturally inquisitive, are fairly easy to catch with a water bottle trap. I would consider trapping it out, doing a FW dip (use RODI in a dark bottom container to see any possible flukes drop off) and QTing it for 4 weeks with copper. Also, keep a close eye on the rest of your denizens but if one IS infected it’s probably just a matter of time. My 2 pennies.

I've had him since the second week of August this year. He had burn marks from nem stings when I first brought him home, but otherwise was healthy and chunky. I didn't QT/Medicate him before introducing him to the DT because of the burns/injuries - I didn't want to cause him more unnecessary stress. 

I have no issues catching him because he's fairly large enough to net. The problem is catching my other fish - two Hi-Fins which literally live in burrows in one of my LR alongside a pistol shrimp, and a <1" GCG which is very tiny and agile. That, and a cryptic brotulid that may or may not be still surviving in my system. I can net my wrasse though - I think I more or less know where he sleeps at night. 

No one else is showing symptoms yet, which is why I'm puzzled. Definitely will be keeping a good watch. Can I treat him with Prazipro first though? Will that be more effective against gill flukes?

Prazi will work on flukes and most internal parasites, especially effective if food is soaked in it before feeding. Copper is the best go-to tx in my opinion as it is effective against most external parasites. If you go that route, dont run carbon, just floss, check the levels frequently, and use pvc in the qt for hiding places. Sand or rock will bind with the copper and drop ur med levels significantly. My Qt regimen is: Fw dip for at least 5 minutes, then QT for 4 weeks. I have a 5.5g QT set up all the time so any new fish go in there for a week’s observation and if I suspect an issue then i treat. 3 years in and i have yet to have a loss to disease. I ALWAYS suspect new fish are sick; from shipping stress, over-crowding in wholesalers holding tanks, and decreased natural food sources. It also gives them a chance to chill without competition for food, getting on a regular feeding schedule, and no bullying from tank mates.

• Like 1