Top Shelf Aquatics

Chalice placement

toddrparr

I picked up an awesome chalice over the weekend and had some questions on placement. I’ve marked in the picture where I’m thinking. I’m running topless ( the tank, not me) with an AI prime. Let me know what you think. B9C61C6F-0638-413A-923C-1ECA8AC5CD29.thumb.jpeg.d5b45e0fd31e778cf88afb3b6928ea60.jpeg

31 minutes ago, toddrparr said:

I picked up an awesome chalice over the weekend and had some questions on placement. I’ve marked in the picture where I’m thinking. I’m running topless ( the tank, not me) with an AI prime. Let me know what you think. B9C61C6F-0638-413A-923C-1ECA8AC5CD29.thumb.jpeg.d5b45e0fd31e778cf88afb3b6928ea60.jpeg

Most Chalices are very mean....... just make sure it has plenty of room.  

Most chalice corals will do fine in medium light and good flow. The chalices that I have tend to just outgrow other corals and block access to flow and light. I'm forever having to knock them back and frag them.

Section A looks good to me. I have a section in my tank dedicated to chalices, not just because of aggression but I like them and want to let them grow a bit. I've yet to see any of mine throw out sweepers. I've read that very random flow discourages corals from doing so, but idk. As for flow I try to give all corals a good amount of random, indirect flow. 

I have a pink boobies, a bubblegum monster, and a purple and yellow chalice. They are under an ai prime halfway down and lower probably getting an average of 100 par or so. 

As Lps 50-100 par is probably a good range to shoot for, so mid to lower in the tank usually. But from my research they can do well in lower and higher light environments. Just might need to be acclimated if par is well over 100. 

Anyway you can check out my build thread if you want to see their placement. Or I'll post a Pic if you want, I just don't want to high jack your thread with my pics lol.

On the sandbed for me since they're decent size and there's no way I'm gonna devote space for them on the rocks where the sps are. Also easier to frag down the line when they get enormous. Both of these are 4" across. 

Pink Boobies

2018_10_16_pink_boobies.jpg

OG Mummy Eye

2018_10_16_mummy_eye.jpg

• Like 1

Chalices are worthy of rock space... 😁 Plus it allows for them to grow in much more interesting ways. 

And since we're posting pics, a shameless self plug. It'll give you an idea of we're I placed mine OP. Similar to your A section. 

20181016_213820-01.jpeg

• Like 1

That a Miami? I'm considering one for my last chalice dedicated opening next to my pink boobies. Each will have their own little platform and can blanket the rock as they grow. I'm hopping once grown in they'll look like they're melting over the rocks. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MrObscura said:

That a Miami? I'm considering one for my last chalice dedicated opening next to my pink boobies. Each will have their own little platform and can blanket the rock as they grow. I'm hopping once grown in they'll look like they're melting over the rocks. 

They called it a Conviction Chalice...... I just thought it was pretty.  

• Like 1

A 4" chalice is gonna eat up a lot of rockscape. A 8" one will 

1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Chalices are worthy of rock space... 😁 Plus it allows for them to grow in much more interesting ways. 

And since we're posting pics, a shameless self plug. It'll give you an idea of we're I placed mine OP. Similar to your A section. 

For a 1" plug to begin with, yes, that can make sense, but a 4.2" disk is way bigger. Here's a comparison of a 1.2" plug on top of the 4.2" disks that the chalices are sitting on.

image.png.71a8ebdb5396da53cb596cd01faedb47.png

In a bigger tank where starting with 4 inch chalices is an option  I'd just dedicate a relatively(adjusted for tank size) similar area to them as in my current tank. 

I love them, they deserve the space imo.