ReefCleaners.org

Quarantine flam angel and Mandarin

reefrox

Hello. Rebooted tank after all fish died and corals not doing so great.. and trying to go at it the right way this time.

First fish coming in today and it's a flame angel and mandarin dragonette. I've setup a small 40g tank on the side with like 15 gallons of water in it.

1. Can I keep them in the same tank and or should I put that plastic egg crate in the middle to divide the tank. Or will they both be fine in there together.. 

2. Any tips on Cupramine. In not doing hypo or TTM. Just copper.

3. Is a power head okay by itself or should I add an airstone in there as well to increase oxygen as there is No other filter will be on the tank at all except for a little live rock and PVC inside.

(fingers crossed)

Thanks

2 hours ago, specore said:

Quarantine and then an immature tank seems like a death sentence for a mandarin.  Is it trained to frozen?  

Specore I cycled the tank for close to two months. Then has been running after that with some corals etc for about 3 months. Seeded the tank with pods in the beginning and theres a healthy population in the tank now. Plus I have in stock and will be ordering live pods every month on the mandarins behalf. Seperatly I have a small tank that I may start to try culture pods myself as well. Figured I get another month and half of pod growth in the main tank whils the fish are in quarantine.. So hopefully have tried to cover my bases.

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

I agree I wouldn’t quarantine the mandarin, I think you can be successful keeping a Mandarin in an “immature” tank, not ideal but possible.  

True. I have read about mandarins having the slime coat. However it's not 100pcnt immune to ich. It can be in the gills etc as a host.. therefore all the effort of quarantining all fish could be lost with the weak link of the mandarin..  I duno quite confusing lol.. I just dont want a repeat of all my fish dying in my last tank.. trying to reduce risk at all cost.

7 hours ago, reefrox said:

Hello. Rebooted tank after all fish died and corals not doing so great.. and trying to go at it the right way this time.

First fish coming in today and it's a flame angel and mandarin dragonette. I've setup a small 40g tank on the side with like 15 gallons of water in it.

1. Can I keep them in the same tank and or should I put that plastic egg crate in the middle to divide the tank. Or will they both be fine in there together.. 

2. Any tips on Cupramine. In not doing hypo or TTM. Just copper.

3. Is a power head okay by itself or should I add an airstone in there as well to increase oxygen as there is No other filter will be on the tank at all except for a little live rock and PVC inside.

(fingers crossed)

Thanks

1. Should be fine together, they will be stressed and not really thinking about what the other fish is doing

2. Pretty sure both these fish are sensitive to copper. I would re-think treatment, TTM may be best idea.

3. Can't have live rock with copper - will reduce effectiveness, aim powerhead at surface and you shouldn't need a airstone 

56 minutes ago, reefrox said:

True. I have read about mandarins having the slime coat. However it's not 100pcnt immune to ich. It can be in the gills etc as a host.. therefore all the effort of quarantining all fish could be lost with the weak link of the mandarin..  I duno quite confusing lol.. I just dont want a repeat of all my fish dying in my last tank.. trying to reduce risk at all cost.

It prob would have been best to not order the mandy so soon without a good game plan as how to feed it. Do you have a asian market? fresh fish roe (no additives) is usually accepted. A biota captive bred mandy would have been ideal, prob not have to worry about ich on those if bought from algaebarn. 

• Like 1

Agree copper is a no go for mandarins. You will probably sometimes think your mandarin has ich because sand sticks to their slime coat... happens to me with my little guy sometimes... don’t let it freak you out the first time haha. 😂

On 10/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, Tamberav said:

1. Should be fine together, they will be stressed and not really thinking about what the other fish is doing

2. Pretty sure both these fish are sensitive to copper. I would re-think treatment, TTM may be best idea.

3. Can't have live rock with copper - will reduce effectiveness, aim powerhead at surface and you shouldn't need a airstone 

It prob would have been best to not order the mandy so soon without a good game plan as how to feed it. Do you have a asian market? fresh fish roe (no additives) is usually accepted. A biota captive bred mandy would have been ideal, prob not have to worry about ich on those if bought from algaebarn. 

Thanks for the feedback. Okay will look into tank transfer method. Especially since both fish are copper sensative etc.

I do have a number of asian markets in my area so will try get roe, as well as algea barns can o cyclops. 

A captive bred mandy was my first choice was hunting for one, but all websites are were always sold out. otherwise that was my first option for sure.