ReefCleaners.org

NSW vs Mixing - environmentally friendly? why mix saltwater?

CrushtheTurtle

CrushtheTurtle

I'm looking to get back into the reef hobby after a few years, one thing that use to concern me was I was basically taking fresh water (one of the most precious resources that many countries don't have enough of) and turning it into salt water (the most common natural resource on earth)..so just curious on the thoughts for why people are okay mixing their own saltwater - maybe its just for the love of the hobby without access to usable NSW, or your consumption feels like drops in a bucket compared to whats available. Would love to hear thoughts.

It's true. We're taking a resource that makes up about 0.08% of the water on this planet, and making something that makes up about 75% of the water on this planet. 

Most folks do it so they know, and have control over, everything that goes into their tanks.

• Like 1
CrushtheTurtle
6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Because nearly every single hobbyist lives within a collectible distance to an accessible clean NSW. 

Where do you live?

NOT!

Exactly why I put that as a reason in my post. I get it, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that the issue exists, so I guess its more if people just ignore it or don't care.

Appreciate your sarcasm though ;).

I know in some places you can buy filtered ocean water but many of us don't live anywhere near an ocean.

I make my own because

I like to have certain parameters in my system and don't live near the ocean. 

I would only use ocean water that's been filtered.

There are many things we as humans do that leads to various issues, besides using water for aquariums.

Is it an environmental concern, yes but so are 

Cruises, flying, factories, driving, plastic over use, levels of waste in garbage dumps, etc etc.

Do I feel guilty, not deeply. It's my one thing in life that truly helps me and gives me enjoyment.

• Like 3

This is like asking why people use gas when they could walk, ride a bike, etc. it’s convenience and I’ve got no issue with it. I pay for the water ima gonna use it however I want. Tank water evaporates and eventually turns to rain, hell even when I dump my water change water down the terlet it gets processed and put back into the ocean where it eventully becomes rain. 

That and most NSW near populated areas can be filled with nasty stuff you don’t want in your tank. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, CrushtheTurtle said:

Exactly why I put that as a reason in my post. I get it, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that the issue exists, so I guess its more if people just ignore it or don't care.

Appreciate your sarcasm though ;).

Well, there are bigger things in my life that have much environmental impacts than my hobby. Glad you’re ok with my rude sarcasm. 

4 minutes ago, Sancho said:

This is like asking why people use gas when they could walk, ride a bike, etc. it’s convenience and I’ve got no issue with it. I pay for the water ima gonna use it however I want. Tank water evaporates and eventually turns to rain, hell even when I dump the my water change water down the terlet it gets processed and put back into the ocean where it eventully becomes rain. 

That and most NSW near populated areas can be filled with nasty stuff you don’t want in your tank. 

I dump my water change water down the kitchen sink.

Water all goes back to get re-filtered.

I myself wouldn't use water taken from the ocean for that reason- what would I be introducing into my tank?

CrushtheTurtle
23 minutes ago, Sancho said:

This is like asking why people use gas when they could walk, ride a bike, etc. it’s convenience and I’ve got no issue with it. I pay for the water ima gonna use it however I want. Tank water evaporates and eventually turns to rain, hell even when I dump my water change water down the terlet it gets processed and put back into the ocean where it eventully becomes rain. 

Yeah agree, I know there are many applications to this analogy - but I guess my thinking is that the gas problem will eventually be solved by electric vehicles and solar tech. and yeah when people don't have gas they do walk, but when they don't have water they die.  good thoughts though, thanks.

I used to use natural salt water from the Seattle Aquarium in my previous tank, but only because....

1.  It was ridiculously cheap (5 cents per gallon).

2.  It was very high quality (I have the process saved somewhere, but involves multiple filtration, collection from far offshore, it is the water they use in their aquariums, etc...).

3.  I only did water changes very rarely.

4.  It was super easy to access at their location (24/7/365 via an automated RFID card controlled pump and hose system).  I sometimes went in the middle of the night.

That was years ago and before I had 2 kids to deal with.  With my new tank, I can't see myself using NSW again since I started with fake water.  Just going to keep going with the fake. 

It is just slightly/barely more inconvenient for me to go get the water versus making my own from the RO/DI in my garage mixed with the salt I get from Amazon.  If I choose not to use natural based on it just barely being more inconvenient than mixing my own, I can't even imagine how much of a disincentive it would be for people who had to go collect from the beach or a pier or whatever in a bucket.  Especially when you take into account the contamination aspect a lot of people have brought up. 

• Like 2