Top Shelf Aquatics

Enough flow?

KNelson

I'm upgrading to a JBJ Rimless Flat-Panel 25g.  In my current tank I have a Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 with a Flo water deflector and a Hydo Koralia Nano 240.  Would those be enough with the tank's SP1-1000 pump (266gph)? I have an extra Pico 180 I could add and although I like the water deflector, I don't like all the red on them, it stands out against the black background.  I don't want the Smart Wave and can't afford the better wavemakers so if there is a product I can use to paint the red plastic parts black please let me know! 

Well, I happened upon some articles referring to random flow generators for return nozzles and looked them up.  Cool!  I talked to a guy at Vivid Creative Aquatics and ordered their 1/2" rfg and drop adapter.  I think that plus the 2 PHs currently in use might be enough.  

If anyone knows of a paint that is safe to use to cover the red on my Evo Pico-Mag please let me know! 

If you can get a can, Krylon fusion spray paint for plastic, but let it dry completely (no smell) before putting it in the aquarium. I just got done painting a breeder box and it still had a chemical smell after 5 days, but i washed it with soap and water, and then heated it a bit and checked for smell again and it was fine. Surface prep will likely be necessary to make sure it sticks and doesn't peel. I have a small nano and i'm wondering if that hydor deflector creates a flow sort of like a wave maker. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for tips on the paint, I have some inc tomorrow.  Tank will just have to go without that power head for a few days.  I really like that deflector, especially for a very small aquarium (it's currently in a 12g).  It isn't random but when it hits other flows or the tank walls it is pretty turbulent.  Only issue I've had is if water (or tiny snails) get in the gears it stops turning.  I have to flip the powerhead around a lot underwater to get rid of all air bubbles if I take it out of the tank.  It works fine after that.