Cultivated Reef

Drilling Tank

REEFreefLJS85

REEFreefLJS85

I am getting rid of my IM 10 fusion and going to a 20 gallon long with a 10 sump. Does anyone know what size bulkhead and drill bit  to use? Is there a gph that is associated which each size bulkhead? Also what pump should I get  for this build? Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this sump and drilling tanks thing. Thanks 

10x display turnover is a general rule that works. DC pumps are adjustable which is nice. 

You can start by either:

Looking at aquarium overflows online. Decide what type of overflow you will put in, they will also have a GPH. 

OR if you are just using PVC (not recommended) 

First look at GPH ratings for different PVC under gravity.

https://www.hy-techroofdrains.com/water-flow-through-a-pipe/

Once you know what sized PVC, that tells you what sized bulkhead, which tells you what sized drill. 

Tons of information on overflows and plumbing online. Decide what type of overflow you will put in, they will have a GPH rating and already have details on bulkheads and PVC. 

https://www.glass-holes.com/main.sc

This place should have everything you need and if you spend your money there they probably would be willing to guide you along the way. They have some pretty nice overflow box kits that are separated by the gph rating for each one. They also come with the drill bits and the template it looks like. 

Just be sure to put break out unions in your plumbing configuration. I also opted to put a check valve on my return line and a ball valve on my drain in case I needed to dial in the drain lines flow. My Cadlights is 1 1/4" drain and 3/4" return and the return pump is rated at 660 gph

2 hours ago, REEFreefLJS85 said:

I am getting rid of my IM 10 fusion and going to a 20 gallon long with a 10 sump. Does anyone know what size bulkhead and drill bit  to use? Is there a gph that is associated which each size bulkhead? Also what pump should I get  for this build? Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this sump and drilling tanks thing. Thanks 

Have you drilled glass before? If not, I'd suggest getting a cheapo tank from Walmart or something to practice on, just to help reduce the risk to your main tank. 

REEFreefLJS85
55 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Have you drilled glass before? If not, I'd suggest getting a cheapo tank from Walmart or something to practice on, just to help reduce the risk to your main tank. 

The tank was 20 bucks at petco. If I screw up thats 20 bucks lost to the hobby. We all have lost more than that to the hobby lol.. 

• Like 1

Oh, okay. Yeah, no worries about that. Just go slow with very light pressure. It can also help to have another set of eyes to tell you if you're at a straight angle or not.

• Like 1