Pod Your Reef

Feeding 2 fish

Will_0505

Help! 

Niether my damsel or clownfish in my fluval evo eat flakes they would eat then spit it out. I bought a whole tub of food so I’m not sure what I can do. My Acans eat the flakes a lot tho so idk what to do 

9 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

My clowns are pigs, I feed nls marine pellets. 

But even though they spit it doesn't mean yours aren't eating. 

I can’t find my nls pellets cuz we just moved I might have to go buy frozen food

3 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Can you order some online? 

I can but my parents might not let me and I’m kinda broke as I spent most of my money on getting my evo up and running

They will eat the flakes when they get hungry.  You are majorly over thinking this.  I am active on a "chicken" forum as well as here, and I see the same questions over there about chickens.  "My chickens wont eat the new food I bought them.  They are going to staaaaaaaaaaaaaaarve to death.  What do I doooooooooooo......"  No, no they wont.  And neither will your fish.  Just keep feeding the flakes.  Maybe feed a little less than normal if they are legitimately spitting them out and letting them all go wo waste. 

P.S.  Same goes for your kids when you get a little older and have some.  They won't starve either.  Feed them any leftover flakes you still have at that point. 

10 minutes ago, paneubert said:

They will eat the flakes when they get hungry.  You are majorly over thinking this.  I am active on a "chicken" forum as well as here, and I see the same questions over there about chickens.  "My chickens wont eat the new food I bought them.  They are going to staaaaaaaaaaaaaaarve to death.  What do I doooooooooooo......"  No, no they wont.  And neither will your fish.  Just keep feeding the flakes.  Maybe feed a little less than normal if they are legitimately spitting them out and letting them all go wo waste. 

P.S.  Same goes for your kids when you get a little older and have some.  They won't starve either.  Feed them any leftover flakes you still have at that point. 

I’m 14 and if I have kids I won’t have money for a reef 😂 thx for the info tho I believe they intake some because they spit out like half the flake all torn up 

22 hours ago, BlennyBoi said:

if they repeatedly spit it out, try frozen food, mysis is a good staple. its a more natural diet that flakes, so they might be more willing to take it

My clown and damsel r both babies so I’m not sure they can take Mysis. Would cyclops be a good staple? Or emerald entree mix? Rods fish foods nano reef? 

1 hour ago, Will_0505 said:

My clown and damsel r both babies so I’m not sure they can take Mysis. Would cyclops be a good staple? Or emerald entree mix? Rods fish foods nano reef? 

I like LRS food but for mysis.....Hikari mysis is much smaller pieces than PE mysis. You can chop up the frozen cube to make the pieces even smaller.

16 hours ago, Will_0505 said:

you can chop up the mysis

23 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I like LRS food but for mysis.....Hikari mysis is much smaller pieces than PE mysis. You can chop up the frozen cube to make the pieces even smaller.

So I did pick up some mysis today fed it too them the damsel went crazy but the clown still pays no attention to the food. 

2 hours ago, Will_0505 said:

So I did pick up some mysis today fed it too them the damsel went crazy but the clown still pays no attention to the food. 

Internal parasite maybe? That can make fish not eat. If you haven't had him long, maybe he is still adjusting. When I moved I brought my clowns with me and they went on a hunger strike for a week. Do you have any garlic? Soaking food in garlic juice is enticing to fish. They actually sell liquid garlic extract for fish but you can use normal garlic too, need to crush it up.

10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Internal parasite maybe? That can make fish not eat. If you haven't had him long, maybe he is still adjusting. When I moved I brought my clowns with me and they went on a hunger strike for a week. Do you have any garlic? Soaking food in garlic juice is enticing to fish. They actually sell liquid garlic extract for fish but you can use normal garlic too, need to crush it up.

Thx I mean he slurped it but spit it out 

15 hours ago, Will_0505 said:

2 hours ago, Will_0505 said:

Thx I mean he slurped it but spit it out 

keep feeding mysis. if the damsel is eating, the clown will eventually get the idea

21 hours ago, BlennyBoi said:

keep feeding mysis. if the damsel is eating, the clown will eventually get the idea

I got them to eat. I starved them for a day and they then slammed any food I put into the tank they even devoured large pieces of flake which they never do 

On 10/20/2018 at 6:09 AM, Will_0505 said:

I got them to eat. I starved them for a day and they then slammed any food I put into the tank they even devoured large pieces of flake which they never do 

great! happy reefing!

34 minutes ago, BlennyBoi said:

great! happy reefing!

Thx! Was wondering is it practical to feed frozen to a single fish? I’m getting rid of the damsel soon and I’m wondering if I should keep the bio load small to do smaller water changes

On 10/26/2018 at 4:02 PM, Will_0505 said:

Thx! Was wondering is it practical to feed frozen to a single fish? I’m getting rid of the damsel soon and I’m wondering if I should keep the bio load small to do smaller water changes

yeah, keep the bioload lower than normal if you want, but i would get another fish to replace the damsel, possibly a blenny or the like, and then have to do more water changes.