Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A noobs Fluval evo

Will_0505

I just started reefing and this is my evo 13.5 . I have a lot freshwater experience. Yesterday I picked up a blue velvet damsel and 2 acans. I am wondering what frozen foods to feed and what to feed the corals. And if there any upgrades to the evo that would make it easier for a reefing noob. And what other live stock should I get?

That particular type of damsel grows huge and is becomes very mean spirited as it ages. Unfortunately it also loses its pretty colors too 😞 You may want to consider a different fish, otherwise it looks like a good start. 

Intank media baskets are really nice to have. For foods I like hikari mysis and LRS reef or fish frenzy. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

That particular type of damsel grows huge and is becomes very mean spirited as it ages. Unfortunately it also loses its pretty colors too 😞 You may want to consider a different fish, otherwise it looks like a good start. 

Intank media baskets are really nice to have. For foods I like hikari mysis and LRS reef or fish frenzy. 

Ya I’m gonna cycle it and donate to a lfs and get a fire fish or a clown pair. I have seen they grow up to 6 inches and I’m wondering if this tank can hold them? I am in he process of making my own media basket because the nano project already drained the budget

1 hour ago, Will_0505 said:

Ya I’m gonna cycle it and donate to a lfs and get a fire fish or a clown pair. I have seen they grow up to 6 inches and I’m wondering if this tank can hold them? I am in he process of making my own media basket because the nano project already drained the budget

I'm confused, are you cycling with fish and coral? 

No, the tank is not big enough for a large type of damsel or clown. 

19 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I'm confused, are you cycling with fish and coral? 

No, the tank is not big enough for a large type of damsel or clown. 

Yes I am cycling but I’m just gonna keep one regular clown false percula 

6 hours ago, Will_0505 said:

Yes I am cycling but I’m just gonna keep one regular clown false percula 

People generally don't cycle with fish anymore as it is outdated. I'm not sure anyone would cycle with corals but hopefully your rock is quality live rock and enough to prevent any ammonia spike. If that is real coralline algae and not painted then you are probably ok. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

People generally don't cycle with fish anymore as it is outdated. I'm not sure anyone would cycle with corals but hopefully your rock is quality live rock and enough to prevent any ammonia spike. If that is real coralline algae and not painted then you are probably ok. 

I got chaeto and that’s reef rock 2.0 I’m not sure what’s up as. I am a noob plus the live rock comes from a huge system at my lfs

If the rock came from a huge system at your LFS then it probably does have the beneficial bacteria that you need. However in my opinion you don't have enough rock in there to support a strong biofilter. I'll probably have someone on here disagree with me but it never hurts to have at least a pound per gallon

2 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

If the rock came from a huge system at your LFS then it probably does have the beneficial bacteria that you need. However in my opinion you don't have enough rock in there to support a strong biofilter. I'll probably have someone on here disagree with me but it never hurts to have at least a pound per gallon

I have about 7 pounds in my 13.5 

7 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Do you have a light for your chaeto? I'm assuming you're keeping it in your rear chamber also? If not you'll need a light for the chaeto to survive. 

I don’t have a light mine literally blew up I was chilling and I heard a pop and it’s gone

4 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

I guess I'm wrong. Just doesn't look like alot

Ye the rocks kinda small but I do have a rock behind the big one so maybe u didn’t see that one

I would get rid of that damsel since you have a clown.. It's going to grow and get pissed and that baby clown won't stand a chance. 

Also I would slow down if you add additions too fast it can cause huge headaches later. 

• Like 1
Just now, Tamberav said:

I would get rid of that damsel since you have a clown.. It's going to grow and get pissed and that baby clown won't stand a chance. 

Also I would slow down if you add additions too fast it can cause huge headaches later. 

I’m getting rid of the damsel tomorrow and probably gonna leave him like that no fish except for maybe a fire fish a couple months down the road

• Like 1