ReefCleaners.org

Sponges in nano reefs?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hi everyone! I am thinking of getting a sponge for my NPS coral tank. However...do you think I could handle keeping one? The 10 gallon tank has a 350 GPH internal filter, a 100 gallon aquaclear 20, and is in the high 70's. I am doing 4 gallon WC's weekly (will be upping that to twice weekly once I get a distiller) and was going to feed the sponge twice a day with Seachem phytoplankton (1-20 microns). The sponge will be near the bottom of the tank to prevent it from being exposed to air during water changes. Thanks!

A Little Blue
50 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

The tank has been set up continuously since late 2016.

You should be fine. They like rich nutrient environment. I don’t spot feed but I do feed corals often with various dry, liquid and frozen food. Growing sponges are good indicator of a healthy and thriving tank. 

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Thanks 🙂 I thought the phytoplankton should be small enough for the sponge to eat. Going to target feed the sponge twice a day

I feed live phytoplankton daily. About 5ml per 27g of total water volume. Also supplement with AcroPower (daily) and other additives (at least twice per week) like amino/fatty acids, iodine and strontium.