ReefCleaners.org

Green serpent sea star swallowed fish!!!

kylexarbor

So I just witnessed my green serpent sea star completely swallow my bangaii cardinalfish. I have a biocube 29 that I recently removed the bioballs from and installed a media rack, which caused a nitrate spike. I believe the nitrate spike shocked the cardinalfish and has caused it to become ‘sluggish’, since it wasn’t swimming very well. So, I just walked over to view my tank and watched the serpent grab the cardinalfish and shove it into its mouth. Within 2-3 minutes the entire fish was in its mouth causing the sea stars body to completely “swell” with the fish. I’ve heard mixed things about these sea stars, but I can confirm that they are completely capable of killing your fish.

the sea star is already fed pretty well with krill and mysis so its likely not hungry. I guess I got a rogue glutton. The kicker is, this sea star was a live rock hitchhiker that I never intended to keep.

Watch out!

• Sad 1

Awwww, man.  I had one once,  he quickly got huge and I was always worried that something like that would happen.  He was cool, but I eventually took him back to the store.