Innovative Marine Aquariums

Minimum tube anemone tank size?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hello all! I want to keep a tank dedicated to a tube anemone at some point in the future. How big would such a tank need to be? Would a 5 gallon work? The only other life in there wuld be macroalgae...no other animals. Thanks 🙂

AbnormalReefer

Tube anemones can get quite big, 8 inches I think. I guess you could keep a small one in there and swap it out as it matures. But a full grown one? Absolutely not. 

So you’ve decided on no inverts either? If you do decide on inverts, they may become lunch for the tube anemone. They’re actually a distant relative of the true anemones from what I’ve read. So I’d assume they’re not accustomed to things like anemone shrimp/crabs 

AlmightyJoshaeus

No...this is a separate setup. My 10 gallon will have fish, inverts, corals, and macroalgae; my sister's 5 gallon will have a pistol shrimp/goby pair, macroalgae, and corals. Any other anemones that WOULD do well in small spaces?

3 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

No...this is a separate setup. My 10 gallon will have fish, inverts, corals, and macroalgae; my sister's 5 gallon will have a pistol shrimp/goby pair, macroalgae, and corals. Any other anemones that WOULD do well in small spaces?

Rock flower anenome

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
5 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

I think RFAs should be okay. Another option is mini maxis. Mini maxis can stretch up to 6" on a good day though, so depending on your tank layout - it may/may not be possible to keep *just one. 

Snow_Phoenix
2 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

I just did some research and found that rock flower anemones can get to an imposing 8 inches...not a good size for a 5 gallon 😞

Why not do a yuma garden instead? Sure, it's not a nem, but I have a few yumas in my tank now and they look wonderful under actinics. The 'bubbly' surface looks like tiny teardrop-shaped tentacles too. 

AlmightyJoshaeus

Perhaps...might go with a black sun coral jar instead, though. That, with macroalgae, a little sand, and the coral, would look NICE 🙂

• Like 1

When they're actively feeding a Cerianthus anemone can stretch out their tentacles a good 6-8". I wouldn't put anything in a tank with one that I didn't care if I lost.