Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Input for 30G stock

kalh

Hi all,

I am currently planning a 30 gallon (30"x18"x12") mixed reef w/ 20 sump and want to think about stocking so I can design the tank around the fish.

I would like to have:

1 Mandarin dragonette (I will be breeding my own pods & brine shrimp FYI, in case I can't train him/her onto other food sources)

1 McCosker's flasher wrasse

Any suggestions for peaceful fish that do not nip coral and are interactive/don't hide? I would like to have one more fish.

Thanks!

A lot of people might have strong opinions on you trying a mandarin, but if you're going to be culturing your own pods and set up a nice fuge in the sump I don't see why it wouldn't be possible but then again I've never kept one so I can't really give good input. Currently in my 30 I have a clown pair and a blackline blenny (fang) and they're all great fish. If you're trying to make you're tank feel more "alive" though without too heavily impacting your bioload I recommend stocking a nice variety of inverts, one of the coolest things by far in my tank is my porcelain crab.

AbnormalReefer

I’d recommend a clownfish pair (my favorite saltwater fish) as a must. 

Try to get a mandarin dragonet who is trained on frozen foods. I think ORA sells them. If your LFS sells one trained on frozen, then you’re in luck. I can’t speak for how to train a dragonet to eat frozen if it’s only eating pods as I’ve never owned one, however, be ready to buy live copepods.

I’m not to big into wrasses and longbodied fish myself, though that wrasse is magnificent looking! I’d say 4 fish would be ok for a 30 gallon.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jesseatam said:

A lot of people might have strong opinions on you trying a mandarin, but if you're going to be culturing your own pods and set up a nice fuge in the sump I don't see why it wouldn't be possible but then again I've never kept one so I can't really give good input. Currently in my 30 I have a clown pair and a blackline blenny (fang) and they're all great fish. If you're trying to make you're tank feel more "alive" though without too heavily impacting your bioload I recommend stocking a nice variety of inverts, one of the coolest things by far in my tank is my porcelain crab.

I am expecting those strong opinions lol, but am designing my tank/refugium with a mandarin in mind and plan to buy a pre-trained one from Algae Barn. I've actually thought about a fanged blenny! Where does it swim in the water column, and is it reclusive? 

I love that idea! I am thinking of adding a Harlequin shrimp and a few Sexy shrimp. I'll definitely check out the porcelain crab! Any other invertebrate recommendations? Thanks!

14 hours ago, kalh said:

I am expecting those strong opinions lol, but am designing my tank/refugium with a mandarin in mind and plan to buy a pre-trained one from Algae Barn. I've actually thought about a fanged blenny! Where does it swim in the water column, and is it reclusive? 

I love that idea! I am thinking of adding a Harlequin shrimp and a few Sexy shrimp. I'll definitely check out the porcelain crab! Any other invertebrate recommendations? Thanks!

My blenny is pretty active all over, they appreciate something like a barnacle cluster though to be able to hang out in or retreat back to if spooked.

inverts such as skunk cleaner shrimp (NOT CBS! I LOST A CLOWN TO ONE!), the porcelain crabs that were mentioned and possibly sea stars and urchins (only tuxedo urchins) would be fine. as for fish, i would go for possibly a banggii cardinal or the like.