inTank Media Baskets

Here's my invert stocking plan! How's it look?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Here's a tentative stocking plan for my next 10 gallon tank;

- Various macroalgaes (Gracilaria, Portieria, maybe a feathery Caulerpa sp)

- Corals include sun corals, Ricordea corals, and a gorgonian

- Inverts include a few snails and a pistol shrimp, perhaps with a fire shrimp. Also, this photosynthetic sponge; https://www.live-plants.com/purplesponge.htm

- Fishes are uncertain but WILL include a firefish, possibly a helfrichi firefish.

How does this stock list look? Anything I should change? Thanks 🙂

AlmightyJoshaeus

I know...I'm prepared to feed them daily. Might replace the sun coral with a white telesto coral, which is another pretty NPS coral...the seller says they are quite easy (an idea supported by the fact that it is an invasive species in Hawaii)

1206458566_snowflakecoral11.jpg.a7f71fcca09e7f6ca10549541ecdbc9d.jpg

• Like 1

So my problem with my sun corals were getting the polyps to extend. Seemed they want to come out at night which didn't work for feeding.  I would almost have to balance the mysis on them and then they would extend or blast them with reef roids then come back and feed them.. just a hassle, but they where cheap so if you love them give it a shot😎

I think you have the nano-reef record for most threads in no time xD

Why not get another shrimp Goby?

also, I love sun corals so if you are ready, then good choice!

On 10/1/2018 at 8:33 PM, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

I can try another shrimp goby 🙂 will the pistol shrimp accept it?

Yes. 

Dendro's and balanophyllia tend to stay open in the light more. 

• Like 1

I have a balano, it took a couple weeks but it is thriving and opens up during the day now.  I feed it everyday but honestly sometimes I forget and it skips one without any significant consequences.  Much easier than sun corals!247824140_image1(1).thumb.jpeg.9d36514e77515414324856038d7318bb.jpeg

I recommend caluerpa prolifera over the feathery one.  Prolifera looks like sea grass, does good in very low lighting, doesn't climb on rocks and has an extremely low chance--lower than all the caluerpas--going sexual.  At most prolifera just loses a leaf or so from time to time.  Dragon's breath and rose petal macro can add some red to your collection and they are very simple to keep too.

Pistols prey on other shrimps and the shy fire shrimp may be a potential victim in time.  Maybe get one of the more docile species of coral banded shrimps like the purple or golden.  I have a purple one and it's very passive...they stay significantly smaller than their aggressive relative the hispidus which gets very big sometimes.

• Like 1

If youre gonna do nps/gorgs might as well throw in a porcelain crab too as it’s a filter feeder. I have a caribbean one and it’s a great inhabitant they just need their own little space, all my inhabitants learned to steer clear pretty quick lol.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, Tamberav said:

Yes. 

Dendro's and balanophyllia tend to stay open in the light more. 

ive heard dendros are really hard to keep. possibly the book was old

On 10/9/2018 at 3:50 PM, Aurortpa said:

I have a balano, it took a couple weeks but it is thriving and opens up during the day now.  I feed it everyday but honestly sometimes I forget and it skips one without any significant consequences.  Much easier than sun corals!247824140_image1(1).thumb.jpeg.9d36514e77515414324856038d7318bb.jpeg

I recommend caluerpa prolifera over the feathery one.  Prolifera looks like sea grass, does good in very low lighting, doesn't climb on rocks and has an extremely low chance--lower than all the caluerpas--going sexual.  At most prolifera just loses a leaf or so from time to time.  Dragon's breath and rose petal macro can add some red to your collection and they are very simple to keep too.

Pistols prey on other shrimps and the shy fire shrimp may be a potential victim in time.  Maybe get one of the more docile species of coral banded shrimps like the purple or golden.  I have a purple one and it's very passive...they stay significantly smaller than their aggressive relative the hispidus which gets very big sometimes.

wow, that looks really good!