Cultivated Reef

Tube anemones kill fish?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Well...do they? They are supposed to have very weak stings and be zooplankton eaters, but I've heard conflicting reports suggesting they may unintentionally kill fish anyway.

"I have only seen a couple of books that cover these animals in any detail, and in general they warn of the long and extremely poisonous tentacles of these animals that are capable of killing their tankmates. The fact of the matter is that many popular anemones in the hobby are much more dangerous to the animals in our tanks than are tube anemones. For whatever reason people tend to be better informed and prepared for the potential dangers of clownfish-hosting anemones, and don't consider them a threat to our tanks. However, a large carpet anemone is far more likely to consume fish (other than the clownfish living within them) and invertebrate tank mates than is a tube anemone. In fact, Jim Fatherree had an article entitled "Killer Carpet" at one point in which he chronicled roughly $300 worth of tankmates that his Stichodactyla haddoni consumed over the previous year.

In contrast, tube anemones are generally filter feeders that require regular feedings of live or frozen small foods, and an emphasis should be placed on small feedings made as frequently as time will allow. Minimally, feeding several times per week with some krill or shrimp pellets seems to suffice. Surprisingly, even articles or book sections that correctly describe these animals as filter feeders often follow that with a strong warning about these animals being notorious fish killers. I am not sure where the fish-killer reputation for tube anemones originated, but I don't see much justification for it - either in the biology of the animals, or the ones that I have kept in my aquaria."

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/6/inverts

• Like 1

I believe most anemones can kill and eat fish.

Alot of fish are not immune to their stings, clownfish are one of them that are.

There are mushrooms that can consume fish. 

I have one, it hasn't killed any of my fish yet.  I feed it what I feed my fish (spirulina brine, mega marine, mysis, pellets) and it has grown.  It's pretty happy and keeps my pulsing xenia in check.  They get pretty big.  Mine is about 4" in diameter when it opens in the afternoon and maybe 5" when the light go out.  I may have to rehome it because of this, my footprint isn't very big. 

• Like 1