Cultivated Reef

Tiger Tail Cucumber in 34G Display?

kinetic

My sandbed is dirty. I have three hermits that try their damn best, and trochus/cerith as well, but I think I just need the sandbed to be turned over. I think a diamond goby would be too much, so was thinking of a tigertail cucumber.

I'm scared it'll nuke my tank, or starve. I feed heavily, so I think it should have enough to go through.

My tank has Tropic Eden Mesoflakes (2.7mm) about 2" deep. Minimal rockwork so a lot more sand.

Anyone keep these long term in something as small as a 34 gallon display?

I’ve never had the tiger tails. They get too big. I’ve always kept the ...... umm, I dunno???? Common sea cucumber.you, know, the ones that look like someone took a dump in your tank. They only get around 6”. Great sandbed animal, I’ve never had onenuke a tank (I’m not even sure that they do. I think it might be the sea apples that do that.) I’ve handled them without issue, as well. The only difference, I never kept one in anything less than a 47 gallon. Footprint was 36” x 17”, basically about a 40 breeder footprint. Even that was pretty minimal, imo.

I've got one in my 32 gallon biocube, wasn't planned came in a piece of live rock and it mainly keeps to the rocks. I see it about once a month or so. My tank hasn't exploded and it seems to do its job. Very interesting little beastie, mine is about 4 inches.

• 3 weeks later...

I  know this is an older thread but I have kept a tiger tail in a nano before.  In a 14G actually.  They squeeze into tiny spaces and poke out of rocks n stuff.  They do eventually get big but it takes a long time.  You could get a small one and keep it for many many many  years before ever having to worry about replacing/moving it into a bigger tank.  Mine even split and made a baby at one point.  When I upgraded to a 40G breeder tank he was maybe a 10 inches long when he STREETTCHED but most of the time he was half that size or less.  They are fairly size adaptive so take the 'max size' stuff with a grain of salt.   

They do turn the sand over pretty well over a long period of time.  It doesn't happen overnight but you will start to see section of it just clean as can be in little poop piles.  It's kinda wierd seeing clean sand poop. 😄

I'm looking for a baby one right now for my 24G aquapod actually, but my tiger pistol already does such a damn good job turning alllll he sand around I'm not sure I need one.