Innovative Marine Aquariums

I can't get Nitrates down!

Draco

My little 3 gal pico has been having nitrate problems lately. 

the tank's been running for a year and half now with no problems until the past week.

My clown goby died- one sexy shrimp a live and trimma goby hanging in there.

I stopped feeding, it's been about 5 days since I've last fed the tank. I've done 50% water changes every other day.

Nitrate is still high around 20-40ppm. I have no idea where it's coming from- I will have to remember to bring in my nopox again to dose again, was hoping to avoid chemicals.

Ammonia is between 0-.25ppm (Expected since my goby died)

any suggestions on what to do? I've been using filtered water from the company's water cooler, no problems with it (unless something's changed recently- no idea how to test it?)

I have a modded  aqua clear 50 with chaetos, and recently put in polyfill to help polish the water.

There's no sand, the tank is bare bottom. I vacuum the gunk with every water change, at least what I can get.

will have to do a larger water change.

I'm doing a water change with a different water cooler.

Ive been using the coompany's filtered water, never had a problem until now. not sure whats going on- how do I test the filter water?

2 minutes ago, Draco said:

I'm doing a water change with a different water cooler.

Ive been using the coompany's filtered water, never had a problem until now. not sure whats going on- how do I test the filter water?

Water cooler?  As in the little paper cups on the side and you pull the spigot down?

You would test it the same way as if you were testing your water in your tank. 

• Like 2

Filtered bottled water is pretty much tap water. 

It still has tds in it with a lot of other stuff too.

It can take time to see the effects of using water that isn't great.

You'd need to test the tds levels, nitrate, phos, ammonia, chlorine/chloramines of the water.

You are better off buying distilled water which is pure or buy an ro buddy and make your own water.

Using filtered drinking water is going to be a continuous battle- 

• Like 1

I tested the filter, the water tested at 40ppm. Yikes! There's the source!

I think I will break down the tank, or at least take it home. lugging water for water changes is goign to be a pain

• Wow 1
18 minutes ago, Draco said:

I tested the filter, the water tested at 40ppm. Yikes! There's the source!

I think I will break down the tank, or at least take it home. lugging water for water changes is goign to be a pain

Can you get them to foot the bill for an RO/DI system?  Could sell the idea by showing that you can split the output before the DI stage for essentially "pure" drinking water.  Then they can ditch the (probably expensive) water jug delivery service. 

Also, this is a 3 gal pico, right?  How much lugging are you thinking you will need to do?  😉  Bring in a large water bottle each day with some distilled water from the grocery store and by the end of the week you have enough for a 100% water change.

• Like 2

ha, my company won't go for the RO/DI filter- we're lucky we got this water cooler, even though it's full of nitrates. 

it is 3 gallons (just shy of). 

I did bring my own water in every day from my home RO/DI filter in a 5 gallon bucket. it last a while- maybe I'll do that again- I had to lug it once a week between top-offs and water change

• Like 1

THE GOOD PART

Nitrates are relatively harmless.  If the tank residents seem fine, they are fine...so maybe keep doing what you're doing and just consider things a little more.  🙂  It's possible that doing nothing is an option.  🙂 

THINGS TO COSIDER

If the trimma requires feeding, then I would consider leaving him out.  (I know....but read the next line!)

If you aren't growing coral then you ought to consider it – they will contribute to tank health and potentially (if healthy) use up a lot of nutrients – especially ammonia.  Plus, coral are MUCH easier than fish.

Isn't it possible to aerate the ammonia out of the water?  What about an airstone in a jug for a day or week?

Is that much ammonia in water generally acceptable in drinking water?  

It's possible that calling the 800# on the side of the machine and complaining might get them to put a better filter on the water.  Tell em the coffee tases like urine or something. 😄 

There are other factors that could be at work causing nitrates to accumulate vs being denitrified.  Can you get a phosphate test done on the tank water?

$0.02

• Like 1

I have corals, assorted softies.

I put in DeNitrate and it helped lower the nitrates. The corals look a little happier. I haven't done a water change in a few days, and decided to not to do water change.

I'll be bringing in water from home, though I am debating on taking the tank home. not sure yet- though I feel like the tank's getting on the right track.

The trimma is bright and fat, eating the pellets (which I am glad for, its easier to control pellets than frozen in this size tank). The sexy is dancing her little butt away.

Phosphate is is between 0 and .25ppm (color is between those two swatches on API test)

• Like 1
On 9/25/2018 at 5:53 PM, Draco said:

ha, my company won't go for the RO/DI filter- we're lucky we got this water cooler, even though it's full of nitrates. 

it is 3 gallons (just shy of). 

I did bring my own water in every day from my home RO/DI filter in a 5 gallon bucket. it last a while- maybe I'll do that again- I had to lug it once a week between top-offs and water change

There are places in the world where ppl have access to only dirty water polluted with parasites.

We should be thankful that we have potable water.

40ppm is not going to kill you but it's just not pure enough for our hobby.

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

THE GOOD PART

Nitrates are relatively harmless.  If the tank residents seem fine, they are fine...so maybe keep doing what you're doing and just consider things a little more.  🙂  It's possible that doing nothing is an option.  🙂 

THINGS TO COSIDER

If the trimma requires feeding, then I would consider leaving him out.  (I know....but read the next line!)

If you aren't growing coral then you ought to consider it – they will contribute to tank health and potentially (if healthy) use up a lot of nutrients – especially ammonia.  Plus, coral are MUCH easier than fish.

Isn't it possible to aerate the ammonia out of the water?  What about an airstone in a jug for a day or week?

Is that much ammonia in water generally acceptable in drinking water?  

It's possible that calling the 800# on the side of the machine and complaining might get them to put a better filter on the water.  Tell em the coffee tases like urine or something. 😄 

There are other factors that could be at work causing nitrates to accumulate vs being denitrified.  Can you get a phosphate test done on the tank water?

Even if the company wanted to go through the expense of an rodi(why would any employer for an employees hobby)

Ro water will still have nitrates and tds levels you would be ingesting, about the same as the bottled water they are already drinking.

Be thankful you are permitted to have. Tank at work. I know no one who would have that privilege...health and safety concerns.

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Even if the company wanted to go through the expense of an rodi(why would any employer for an employees hobby)

Ro water will still have nitrates and tds levels you would be ingesting, about the same as the bottled water they are already drinking.

Be thankful you are permitted to have. Tank at work. I know no one who would have that privilege...health and safety concerns.

Nobody said employer.  🙂  

I actually said...

4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

It depends, but most places have a service that maintains their coffee machines and most/all the time the service installs a water filter.  I think in some states it's even required.  Who's to say whether they'd install a better filter unless you ask?

6 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

the service installs a water filter.  I think in some states it's even required.

I would hope so.  I know many places regulate the cleaning of beer lines from keg to tap in bars, so if they do that, I would hope they regulate water 🙂

8 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Nobody said employer.  🙂  

I actually said...

It depends, but most places have a service that maintains their coffee machines and most/all the time the service installs a water filter.  I think in some states it's even required.  Who's to say whether they'd install a better filter unless you ask?

Actually one thing that is super important is getting the machine cleaned regularly which alot of these companies neglect to do without it being asked to be done.

Its actually pretty gross what builds in water coolers etc when they aren't properly maintained.

3 minutes ago, paneubert said:

I would hope so.  I know many places regulate the cleaning of beer lines from keg to tap in bars, so if they do that, I would hope they regulate water 🙂

You would think but many regulations are neglected non the less.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, paneubert said:

I'm pretty sure it's only a few states that mandate filters on the water in (e.g.) drinking water fountains....in most places tap water is (by definition) okay.  

Coffee drinkers seem to be water snobs though, so lots of coffee makers have water filters of some kind pretty much no matter what state. 😉

• Like 1

Just because I opened my mouth at work about the nitrates, the company called the town's water company to see what they say about the nitrate levels.

I do hope you guys are right that the saltwater test kit is accurate for fresh water, LOL.

Manager of the town's water district called, they tested nitrates at 8ppm.

Bossman wants me to get the water tested at the LFS tomorrow just to recheck. If it's high, he's going to invest in an RO filter for 4 of the 8 coolers we have (As it needs to drain somewhere).

I sort of feel guilty for opening my mouth. but he was glad I did, he was concerned about the health of employees.

• Like 1