Pod Your Reef

Never seen anything like this before...in my tank

Privateer

Is it the bottom shell then?  Hard to tell.

Is it kind of flattish or very cone like...telescopic eyes?  

I can’t verify from vid but if it is an actual cone snail, please look them up, they can weaponize a probiscus and deliver venom...again I can’t tell by vid...could also be a harmless conch or a limpet, nassarius, or welk.

Any other pics?

The large shell was a hermit crab shell that's abandoned...the creature lives in a small shell...it's the greenish shell...it opens as if on a hinge. Here are pics of it open and closed.

IMG_20180921_012159634_zpst5gavcro.jpg

Screenshot_20180921-0010163_zpsiizkqxy1.

It is worm like with appendages as seen in second pic....it also appears to have a light colored body inside the shell.

The shell it lives in is permanently attached to the old crab shell and is not mobile

That is an odd one. I don’t know of any true limpets that are sedentary. The closest thing I can think of would be a hoof snail, but I believe they attach themselves to rocks and wait on the surf to bring them food.

ill do some digging tonight, when I have time.

Well. Here it is. It’s most likely a hoof snail of the Hipponix species. Which, oddly enough, IS a type of limpet. Unfortunately, there isn’t much info on them. I did find one site, but it was all in German, and required a subscription, or membership, of some sort. I ain’t that dedicated to finding answers for you.

🙂

07BB10CB-E709-45B1-9341-F5B792492115.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

That's it...thanks a bunch

After your I'd I was able to find this online about them, for anyone who is curious.

Hipponix species as well as other animals in the family Hipponicidae are horse-hoof-shaped limpets with a special trait: they remain sessile for the greatest part of their lives - on rocks as well as in the case of some species on the shells of other snails. They can alter the chosen substrate to form a kind of second shell, occasionally leading to misidentification as a bivalve by hobbyists.

Those species who prefer rock are primarily filter feeders, those who are epibionts on mobile animals use their long proboscis to feed on algae, detritus and carrion in passing. They also quite frequently feed on the feces of their animal host without harming it directly.

In the home aquarium they can occasionally be found on large imported snails such as Tectus sp., Trochus sp. or Turbo sp. as well as on the shells used by hermit crabs.

• Like 2