SaltCritters.com

My 12 gallon eclipse progress

chufa

Nice tank! just bought an eclipse 12 to start a nano and was wondering what materials did you use to start it?

Live Rock #

Live Sand #

Other substrates?

How long after the live rock went in did you get the 32w retro?

Thanks

Thanks nanoid! It is a very good sign that you are doing some good research here before starting, your reply in this old thread shows it! :)

I started with 10 lbs of cured aquacultured live rock, and 20 lbs of live sand. Added 10 lbs more of the same live rock a week later. Over the next two weeks I added my cleanup crew, and after that the yellow-tail damsel. Tank was cycled by then. Then after one month I added the lights, and shortly after that, the clownfish and a couple of corals a week later.

Today I just added a powerhead to aid circulation on the opposite side of the eclipse filter outflow. I also added a small emerald crab to try to help with bubble algae control.

Everything going great so far! Best of luck with yours!

Thank you for your respponce but i have a few more questions.

Where did you get your rock / sand from? lfs or internet?

If LFS where, and how much, what type?

Was the live sand the type that comes in the prepackaged 20# bag or the stuff with all the critters that goes for $2-$5 per lb on line.

It apears as though there are 2 layers of substrate, is this an illusion?

Did you place the live rock first and then fill in the sand or did you place the rock on top of the sand?

What other tanks have you had?

Thanks again!

Hi nanoid: I got my LR from my LFS. Less shipping stress on the rock. I paid $9.99 a lb, which is very expensive, but judging from the results it was worth it. Also, my LFS is Adam's Aquatics in Des Moines, Iowa, which is the best in town, a family run store which takes great care of their stock.

I got prepackaged live sand. Didn't have any visible life initially, and I don't know if it was worth it, but it is now pretty live. It is just one layer; the lower half darkened for some reason. I suppose because of the anaerobic conditions present there.

I placed the sand first, then the rock. usually it is done the other way around, but with a tank so small, the rocks weight is not much of an issue, so it does not really matter IMHO.

This is my first saltwater tank. I have kept FW tanks for 10 years, and currently I have a 55 gallon oscar tank.

Hi Purple Haze, I answered your filtration question in your new thread; as far as the supernova, I really like it! :love: Easy to install, even for an "unhandy" person like me, nice colors, useful amount of light for my needs, and no issues with tank getting too hot.

Archived