ReefCleaners.org

Hammer coral poo

Austintylerl

So I have  hammers coral and one of them is pooping a small amount of brown stuff every few days. It looks good and undistressed. I haven't upped the light intensity but I have moved it a few times list last few days after a failed aquascape attempt. It sits no higher up in the tank and its still in the middle. Is this spitting out zoanthelle or what?

Thank you

Mine was doing this as well and then did start to take a slight downward turn. I think it was because the hammer grew larger and then unhappy with the flow. Was expelling zooxanthellae every night eventually not extending its polyps well. After observing for about a month of this behavior I decided to move it twice. After another month its fully extended and splitting again.

I would say keep observing it and if the polyps start to retract or bleach as paneubert said, you may want to try moving it to a new location.

I found placement, flow, and lighting play a huge role in my hammer euphyllia care.

I stopped feeding them, it never appeared like they were taking the food in, the food just layed on top. Yes they look happy but how to I determine if it is BJD?

THanks all

My Euphyllias do the exact same thing and even poop regularly after a water change. While they refuse to be spot fed various food, they are always happy and fully extended.

Take necessary precautions (keep an eye out for any unusual behavior) and then just let it be. It’s most likely just coral poop.