Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank Can ONLY Keep Euphyllia Coral

lakejoery1

My tank is 11 months old and has been stocked with hammers torches and frogspawns for around 9 months, including aussie gold torches and wall hammers. I have been doing weekly 5g water changes and have more recently started daily dosing the tank. The problem is, that the euphyllia corals are the only thing that grows and does well. I have had favias, scollys, blastos all die on me a slow death and its happening again. I love euphys but I just don't know why i cant keep other stuff. I have to move a dying favia to my nano sps tank to save it now.

7 minutes ago, lakejoery1 said:

My tank is 11 months old and has been stocked with hammers torches and frogspawns for around 9 months, including aussie gold torches and wall hammers. I have been doing weekly 5g water changes and have more recently started daily dosing the tank. The problem is, that the euphyllia corals are the only thing that grows and does well. I have had favias, scollys, blastos all die on me a slow death and its happening again. I love euphys but I just don't know why i cant keep other stuff. I have to move a dying favia to my nano sps tank to save it now.

Maybe the euphyllia is stinging the other corals?

11 hours ago, lakejoery1 said:

I have been doing weekly 5g water changes and have more recently started daily dosing the tank.

What are your levels (in your tank and in a newly mixed batch of saltwater)?  What are you dosing, two part?

I am currently not a home tonight, but my levels are stable before and after a water change(dont have exacts right now). I dose 2 part and the corals that die are well away from the euphys.

Just now, Aurortpa said:

5g water change on what size system?

Any chem filtrants or skimming?

Another member had similar occurrences and I suggested allepathy as a possibility.

I do 5g weekly on a 40g system. I skim, and have a refuge with cheato. I also use chemipure blue when not needing to run my gfo media reactor.

• Like 1

I have had a similar experience. I have tried cyphestrea, pavoni, favites etc. and they never make it. Currently my tank supports assorted Euphilia, Zoanthids, Mushrooms and a pipe organ. I did have some beautiful acan colonies for years that did well but recently lost them for unknown reasons. I've recently added some montipora capricornus that seem to be surviving and growing. Other SPS including a birds nest and acros did not make it either. Just some suggestions on things to try. I think softies just like softies.

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I have had a similar experience. I have tried cyphestrea, pavoni, favites etc. and they never make it. Currently my tank supports assorted Euphilia, Zoanthids, Mushrooms and a pipe organ. I did have some beautiful acan colonies for years that did well but recently lost them for unknown reasons. I've recently added some montipora capricornus that seem to be surviving and growing. Other SPS including a birds nest and acros did not make it either. Just some suggestions on things to try. I think softies just like softies.

Some of us can't keep certain corals and we never really know why.

Mine is gsp, torches, and zoas. They just don't survive.

Yeah, thats what Im thinking. I just cant keep certain corals in that tank... good thing i have another tank to play with😃. I am currently trying to save the dying favia from the euphy tank, by puting it in my clean sps tank to help the tissue recover

1 hour ago, lakejoery1 said:

Yeah, thats what Im thinking. I just cant keep certain corals in that tank... good thing i have another tank to play with😃. I am currently trying to save the dying favia from the euphy tank, by puting it in my clean sps tank to help the tissue recover

Feed the favia, it will help it recover. If there is flesh, theres a good chance it will pull through

I have one that was torn up by peppermint shrimp and i had to move it into my cycling tank. I fed it and it recovered and made it through a cycle.

Mine i cant keep acan no matter what. Now i change my tank to a bigger still cant grow acan cause my tank decided to become a ulns tank so acans hate my water. Even their cousins bowerbanki hate it. I would assume feeing daily keeping your tank diverse like being a mixed reef will balance everything out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 9:17 PM, seabass said:

What are your levels (in your tank and in a newly mixed batch of saltwater)?

Ditto.

no3, po4, alk, ca would be nice to know