ReefCleaners.org

My first nano(10g)

luigix

Starting up my first salt tank- a 10g w/AC500 as refugium.

Lights:

96w Coralife quadlight powercompact

9wx2 Coralife mini aqualight(over AC500)

Water movement:

AC 500 filter w/o media(to be used as refugium) w/ surface skimmer

Zoo Med Powersweep 212 powerhead

Heat:

50w Visitherm(thought it's rarely on- my temp hangs between 79 and 82 when hot outside)

Filtration will be through 12 pounds each of live rock & sand(some of the sand going into my refugium) and plenty of macroalgae in the AC.

The only mod I made to the AC 500 was cutting a hole in the lid for my 9w light. I used the removed plastic to make a baffle in the filter.

I've been running the tank with just saltwater in it(SG @1.021-22) for the last 2 weeks, just to make sure I had no leaks and to stabilize my temp(now a happy 80). My rock's arriving from Tampa Bay Saltwater tonight, so hopefully I'll be adding livestock by the end of October.

My eventual plan is to have a bubbletip anenome(I know the difficulties associated with anenomes, but I've been doing my research for this tank for over a year and I think I'm up to the challenge), a sexy shrimp, and a pair or ocellaris clowns(I may try to pair off a black & white with a normal ocellaris if I can find some nice, very young specimens locally when the time comes). If I decide against the pair of clowns, I may just get 1 and try to find a Yashia shrimp goby and a nice Randelli pistol shrimp. I also plan on 3 blue hermits, 3-5 snails, and maybe a small brittlestar(but you know how plans change).

Below is a picture of my empty(for now) tank.

sounds like a strong start. Plenty of light. You'll probably have to check for aptaisia once your live rock shows up. Tank should cycle pretty quickly with the ac500. Good luck!

Got my rock in place(may still rearrange it a bit, though). Very lively rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater- several crabs, snails, feather dusters, and dozens of barnacles. A couple nice corals attached and lots of sponges. A very large sea squirt and a big clam came attached to rocks, and I think I've got a pistol shrimp in there somewhere(I hear him pop every couple hours, but he hasn't poked out enough for me to see him yet). And, after almost 2 days, no noticeable dieoff and my ammonia is hanging in the .8 range(the rock was shipped in water, so hopefully most of the stuff will survive)

I'll post some pictures in a bit.

Archived