Top Shelf Aquatics

First Live Rock/Sand Shipment - Woo Hoo!

ross76053

Got my first live rock/sand shipment today...the stuff looks incredible (thanks Palmetto!). Three hermit crabs (that I can see so far) made their way into the shipment, & the rock is full of life.

There was no foul smell at all - unlike some of the stories I've heard.

I spent about 20 minutes looking at the bottom of the live rock bag making sure I didn't miss any worms or other critters. Yes, I scare myself at times. My wife is calling the funny farm as I type this. Pics attached.

Ross

Haha, how cool, I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you as far as setting up my nano.. can't wait to see how your tank looks cause I can't see sh*t right now... haha :)

Congrats Ross.

Good to see that you've finally got your stuff. GREAT TO SEE THAT YOU'VE GOT YOUR CAMERA ALL WARMED UP!!!

So, at least 2 pics/day.

:D:) :) :D

Great Job

John

Here are the initial test results:

Temp - 80 degrees

Salinity - 1.024

------------------------

Nitrate - .2

Nitrite - .1

NH3 - High

pH - 8.0

Calcium - 350

Sorta low on the calcium side, I'm thinkin'.

looks great! love that woodwork! B)

the ca seems ok, it's nsw level. if you're itching to dose something go for the pH (8.0 is ok but it may drop as you get die-off). b-ionic, c-balance, etc. can't hurt right now imo. that other thread was against dosing during cycle but i dose (at a lower rate is all).

i like the reef crest shot (sticking out of the water). ;)

BustytheSnowMaam

Good work- keep us posted! I'm always fascinated by what crawls out from in/under the rocks too. I believe as the sand dissolves it will add to your calcium level.

Take care-

Tasha

Thanks all for the comments... Finally got most of the sand to settle after after a few rounds of basting the rock.

Here's what I've learned so far: Aquascaping isn't my strong point... X) :D ??? I'll be keeping that day job.

NaNO ReeFiN - this pic's for you, man. Wanted to make sure you could see sh*t this time..... ;)

Ross

Copy that, Dave - I'll keep an eye on the nitrite level. And patience is one thing I DO have - I have a three-year-old.

ajroahkni - that would be the Rio 600 that's powering my Bak Pak skimmer. It'll come out after the cycling process is over - it's a freakin' eyesore - I'll just do weekly water changes.

Ross

Did the maxi jet come with an attachment to redirect water flow? If so you might consider angleing it to blow across the surface... This type of flow tends to provide a nice even flow that will make it around the tank (although doesn't do much for "stuff" that will accumulate on your sand -janitors should help)... -you might try reducing the power this way, rather than trying to aim the powerhead at the glass. -sorry everyone else this is in regards to a PM...

*some useful janitors for getting the ditritus (and food) that will sebtle (about 1/2 way down the page is a great chart that will describe what critters will eat what) -most of these guys are hitch hikers, or are critters that you will have to bumb off of other reefers. the Reef Central link

The Maxi only allows me to redirect horizontally, not vertically...but I could turn the entire unit about 30 degrees to aim the water at the surface.

Oh, and great article...thanks...

Ross

harbingerofthefish

to butt in on your power head disscussion. Do the maxi jets have the little inserts that change the out flow from like 1/2" to 1/4" or something? If they do you can do what I did to adjust the flow on my PH. I used a 1" piece of 1/2" vinyl tubing. slipped one end on the PH and in the other I slid the adapter in. Then I simply forced the adapter into an angle so that all 4 suction cups are on the glass but the flow can be aimed at the surface. Make any sense?

Live rock/sand came from www.PalmettoReefs.com (Palmetto is a member of nano-reef.com). I'd recommend them to anyone. The rock & sand was really fresh & I've had pretty much NO die-off.

I'm already seeing little shoots everywhere & little critters in the sand.

Ross

Archived