Cultivated Reef

Shame face crab? please id

cartophilus

This little guy hitchhiked in on some LR I cycled with about two months ago, and I just noticed him last week. I think he's a shame face crab, I just want to be sure. Cool looking orange and green camo pattern. He's active and interesting enough to warrant his own little pico, IMO. He hasn't bothered anything in the tank I transferred him into, but then again, all he has to harass are some hermits and xenia. I don't want to put him in my coral tank, because crabs in general worry me, but I intend to keep him somewhere. Am I right in this ID, and if so, he's not reef safe, right? If not, will he eat lps only, sps only, zoos, everything, or what?

Hmm, I looked them both up, and neither seems to fit the critter. His rear legs are definetely not swimming legs, they come to a point and aren't flattened. Anyone else?

ApocalypticSurf6

whatever he is hes awesome looking, all I can say is a kind of box crab, scan those but I just wanted to say hes amazing looking, if hes reef safe let me know because im gonna want to find one for my tank

Yeah, and he acts really neat too. He just goes from one side of the tank to the other, walking sideways with his back to me all the way up at the front glass. He's moving out in the open 85% of the time, not like any other crab I've had. (Well, I've only had three not counting hermits, but you get the idea. Oh, and if this helps id him, he isn't hairy at all.

Once you find more info on him, please post. I wouldn't mind placing one of these in the tank if they are reef safe and friendly. Kinda looks like a Halloween crab version of a Harlequin shrimp.

They're related to boxer crabs, apparently, a xanthid crab. He's very meek and shy, afraid of little bitty hermits, but I'm guessing he must be pretty tough since he made it through a pretty foul cycle.

Archived