SaltCritters.com

Light Reccomendations

ADVmarine333

I currently have 32 gallon biocube that is thriving. But obviously the lights came with the tank. I am upgrading to a 75 gallon and need a light that will work with growing corals. The tank will be a fish and coral tank so it doesn’t have to be over the top and designed specifically for corals. I want something that is a good all around light and won’t break the bank. Can anyone help?!?

On 9/8/2018 at 8:28 PM, ADVmarine333 said:

I currently have 32 gallon biocube that is thriving. But obviously the lights came with the tank. I am upgrading to a 75 gallon and need a light that will work with growing corals. The tank will be a fish and coral tank so it doesn’t have to be over the top and designed specifically for corals. I want something that is a good all around light and won’t break the bank. Can anyone help?!?

If you are going to plan for corals, then you need a light specifically designed for corals 

Fish don't care about what lights you use but corals do

32 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

what kind of corals are you looking to keep? is this the standard 75g tank or is it bowfront,cube, etc...?

Standard 75gal. 

I currently have Duncans, acans, trumpets, zoas, favia, and a torch in my 32 gallon bio cube. All are doing excellent and growing. I’m upgrading to the 75 so I was going to eventually move those over and the start expanding. I just have no clue what type of light to use because the lights come with the biocube built in obviously. 

36 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If you are going to plan for corals, then you need a light specifically designed for corals 

Fish don't care about what lights you use but corals do

Thanks. I’m aware of that. The lights on the BioCube 32 gallon I have are awesome and growing my corals like crazy. But obviously that light is built in and standard for the BioCube. So I just don’t know what kind of light to buy. 

11 minutes ago, ADVmarine333 said:

Standard 75gal. 

I currently have Duncans, acans, trumpets, zoas, favia, and a torch in my 32 gallon bio cube. All are doing excellent and growing. I’m upgrading to the 75 so I was going to eventually move those over and the start expanding. I just have no clue what type of light to use because the lights come with the biocube built in obviously. 

2 mars aqua 165w would run you about $220 bucks and you could even get sps with those lights and they can be dimmed as well....or you could shop craigslist for some used lights..when i first started out i found a guy selling 500 dollar set of lights for 60 bucks...that was three years ago and i still have the lights today

• Like 1
On 9/11/2018 at 6:07 PM, ADVmarine333 said:

Thanks. I’m aware of that. The lights on the BioCube 32 gallon I have are awesome and growing my corals like crazy. But obviously that light is built in and standard for the BioCube. So I just don’t know what kind of light to buy. 

My comment was because you said

"The tank will be a fish and coral tank so it doesn’t have to be over the top and designed specifically for corals."