inTank Media Baskets

Ideal placement for pulsing xenia?

jdiver

I have a mini-bow 7, with a 32w SmartLite. Can someone please suggest what the ideal placement would be for pulsing xenia as far as level and current? Thanks.

anthony812

DO YOu JUST NOT READ OTHER PEOPLE's THREADS?  hahahahaa

ok..here i go again:

Nano Reefer           

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pumping Xenia, Cultured

Quick Stats

Family: Xeniidae

Origin: Indo-Pacific

Color Form: White, Ivory, Brown, Light Green

Ideal Supplements: Iodine, Trace elements

Reef Compatible: Yes

Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4

Water Flow: Medium to High

Light: Medium to High

Dominance: Peaceful

Placement: Bottom

Care Level: Experts only

The Xenia Pumping Corals are also referred to as Pulsing Corals, or Waving Hand Corals. They are colonial animals with multiple individual polyps attached to a piece of solid substrate. They form stalks as they grow, and to reproduce. The eight-tentacled polyps pump, or pulse, and many scientists believe the pumping action of the polyps slowly opening and closing is designed to either dispose of gasses and waste, or collect food from the water column, or both. The amount of pumping will vary with various water parameters.

Xenia sp. corals can be very difficult to acclimate; in general, cultured specimens are hardier than wild-caught species. Predatory fish (e.g., Xenia-eating angelfish), crabs, snails, or the stings of other corals may damage the colony quite easily. Therefore, provide adequate space between them and sessile animals, especially other types of soft corals. Some may prefer to be on a vertical surface. They require a medium to high light level combined with a medium to strong water movement within the aquarium. They have difficulty reproducing in an aquarium, however, some experienced aquarists have taken a section from the mother colony and attached it to a hard substrate with epoxy, and had some success. For continued good health, they will require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.

They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which they receive the majority of their nutritional requirements. Additional weekly feedings of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates are also needed.

Actually I do read all the other threads, and I also read the info on liveaquaria.com. In this case, the info on liveaquaria.com flies in the face of what everyone on here says about pulsing xenia and their level of care. What my question was was what the best placement of them would be in my 7 gallon tank, particularly with level. I know it says medium to high light, but I don't know at what level that would be, considering the tank is only 12 inches tall and to me the light looks pretty consistent from top to bottom.

The xenias (small Red Sea type) in my ALIFE seem happier at the back of the tank, not in the center, directly under the lights. They open up better when they stretch a little for the light. They also look better in low flow areas.

I would place them at mid level.  I placed them near the bottom initially, they didnt open up properly and pulse...wheras my plate coral is doing very well at the bottom.  They dont like too strong currents either.  A good flow is fine but not enough to sway the whole Xenia stalk.

I placed mine fairly high in the 5.5 tank, they have to duck their heads when I do water changes. They are very happy pulsing away and dividing like crazy.

NaNO ReeFiN

Mine are right in the middle of the tank right under the lights (7 gallon / 27watts) about mid level and they're doing very well and pulse like crazy.

The stronger the light the better... I have xenia in various light.... My HALIDES are the best, but the VHO show STRONG growth......I have a 10 Gal that has 54 watts of PC... The xenia is ok, but likes strong ilumination.............. Xenia Elongatia (silvertip).... yeah.. Its a ##### to keep, but..... spend the $$$ and you will have frags to spare

• 1 year later...

I have found from experience that Xenia should not be kept in a high water movement area, it will start to bend the tenticles to harshly and start to cripple the tenticle. You want just enough water flow to keep them swaing gently in the tank, but not getting blown around.

Archived