Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

info on Purple firefish goby

malawi freak

They are very shy and can jump out of the tank at a moments notice for absolutely nothing. They will be less likely to do so if they are provided with lots of hiding places they can dive into quickly. They are not aggressive feeders and should be in the tank first before any other fish which are more active/aggressive so they can feel more comfortable.

I would only keep one per tank and I would definitely keep the lights off the day you add it to the tank. You might not see it for a few days after addition, but as long as you don't find it dried up on the floor around the tank you should be ok.

HTH

Mine isn't fussy at all. He eats brine shrimp, marine flakes or cyclopeeze. I alternate between them. Very nice fish. I haven't had any trouble with mine jumping but I have a covered tank and lots of hiding places in the live rock.

It really depends on tank mates. At first don't expect it to come right out in full view and take everything you have offered it. After it settles in and gets comfortable where it doesn't have to fight to get a morsel it would probably accept most thing your offer that are small enough for it to fit in it's mouth.

ApocalypticSurf6

iv got a red firefish which is very very close, it took mine 2 months for it to start comming out, mostly because the false perc chases him a little but I have 24 lbs of lr in a 10 gallon so he has plenty of room to hide, the tank has no hood and he has never jumped out of even attempted, and will eat just about anything

Originally posted by Chriss68

Mine isn't fussy at all. He eats brine shrimp, marine flakes or cyclopeeze. I alternate between them. Very nice fish. I haven't had any trouble with mine jumping but I  have a covered tank and lots of hiding places in the live rock.

Yours will come to the top of the tank and eat flakes? How long did that take and how did you get it to do that?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by JsL

Yours will come to the top of the tank and eat flakes?  How long did that take and how did you get it to do that?

He doesn't quite come all the way to the top, but he will come high in the tank. Maybe an inch from the top and grab the flakes as they sink. He really has never hid much, other than when I'm cleaning the tank. He seems to like hanging out in the center.

Archived