Coral Vue Hydros

anemone good bad?

TIM28GBOW

yea, well they are bad becuse they can take over a tnak, but in one of my tanks, a 40 gallon that is mostly just a mixed reef tank, i have one that is maby 3 inches across from one tip to the other, it's cool but in a small tank they are bad

The guy at LFS said to just grab it and pull it out. Is that a bad idea. He also said to get a pepermint shrimp. I however dont want to overcrowd my tank I have a 16g aga 2 false percs, 1 green chromis,skunk cleaner, emerald crab. Would it be alright to add a peppermint shrimp?

yes it is Aiptasia..... and they will multiply like rabbits...they will overrun your tank if not stopped. Quite a few ways to get rid of them. I used two pepperment shimp in a 30 gal to get rid of them, There was around 20 or so...The shrimp ate every last one of them and from reading these forums it seems not all peppermint shrimp eat them, not sure why...but they worked for me..

you can't pull them out snostorm. they reproduce by pedal laceration. anywhere they walk in your tank, or anywhere you may pull them off from can grow new aiptasia from even the smallest bit of tissue left. Peppermint shrimp are the easiest way to control them, although some peppermints are finicky and won't touch them. Also, make sure you get a real peppermint shrimp, not a camel shrimp. alot of stores confuse them and a camel shrimp is deffinatley a bad addition to a reef tank. If you don't want to add a peppermint shrimp you could try getting a syringe and injecting each aiptasia at it's base with a strong mix of kalkwasser/water, lemon juice, or a super saline mixture.

Archived