Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

my first nano

No.9

hi all,

i have been coming to this site for couple months now. i am blown away by all the nice setups i have seen here, the amount of information circulating and the knowledge people have. i have about 4-5yrs of reef keeping experience, but i still feel like a beginner because i am still learning and discovering new things everyday.

i started a nano few months ago and here are a few photos of my tank. any comments or advices you can offer would be appreciated.

specs

tank: 9"(w)x8"(d)x11.5"(h)...3.5gal acrylic with matching black acrylic top

lighting: 2-9w (coralife aqualight)...just added another aqualight couple days ago. this is the only size of lighting i can find that will fit over my tank. the lighting is always a big challenge. i took the two coralife aqualights apart and fitted them into the acrylic top. so there are now total 4-9w (2-10,000k and 2-actinic 03)

filtration: none

circulation: 1 - rio50 powerhead

heater: 1 - 25w

livestocks

liverock & livesand: approx. 4lbs each

2 - xenia frags

1 - finger leather

1 - colt

1 - green star polyps

1 - tiny frogspawn (free from lfs)

1 - unknown gorgonian (free from lfs)

1 - tiny orange zoas colony

2 - blue leg hermits

i do about 5% water change twice a week and are not dosing anything at the moment.

sorry, i am not sure what my water parameters are, except for the specific gravitly, 1.024, which is the only thing i test. i know many of you will think i am crazy and that my tank will self-distruct because i don't test my water. i maintain my tank mainly based on experience and observation. in my opinion, the corals are the best indications of the water condition. i guess only time will tell. if my tank crash and all my corals die, then i will have nobody to blame but myself and my stupidity...haha.

it is just a 3.5 gal and so space is very limited. i am only going to be keepin a few hardy soft corals, like the ones i currently have so hopefully my setup will do fine.

i don't have any fish in my tank and don't plan on adding any because my tank is just too small. a six-line wrasse or a bicolor blenny would be nice, but the tank is just too small.

thanx

supernip - yes, there is some condensation problem with this tank. i will try to think of somthing. you have any suggestions? also, you are right, this tank is very narrow and therefore very difficult to work around. i used to get so frustrated because i kept knocking stuff over. its better now because i am finally happy with the rock setup and not adding anymore stuff...so i don't have to stick my hand in there as much. i like this tank because it fits nicely on my desk next to my computer so i can stare at it when i am on the computer.

c jerome - i did posted a front view of the tank.

coral reefer - i did considered adding a yellow clown goby, but i think i am going to hold off on that because i don't want to feed. besides, i don't have a mechanical filter.

thanx

Archived