Innovative Marine Aquariums

need ID of anemone-esque creature (Pic included)

chad29

I am on day 19 of my new JBJ nanocube. A hitch hiker has appeared on the curve of my front glass as of about 3 days ago. It is about an inch in diameter. It has been rather stationary, but moved last night to an new position about a foot from its previous one.

Here is the picture:

aquarium2%20004.jpg

What is it and will it hurt anything? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately I've been unable to get a better picture since he is right in the curve of the glass. After doing some more research, I am afraid it may be an aiptasia! (glass anemone) Now I'm scared cuz my brand new reef tank already has a bad guy. From my reading, it seems it is very difficult to get rid of. That would be great if you were right, though, because the rock (flower) anemone would not be as much trouble, right?:*(

I'll work on trying to get a better picture for you.

Thanks guys. Any advice on what I should do with him? Should I even keep him? I am planning on having coral and other inverts in my tank. They are carnivorous, right? so I'd have to feed him, I guess.

If its a rock/flower anemone, then they are basically effortless in keeping them happy. They should be photosynthetic to a certain degree and require a little bit of whatever you happen to be feeding your creatures at the time. Could be flakes, brine shrimp, formula, whatever it may be. Just squirt a little with a an eye dropper on his tenticles. I would recommend spot feeding your fish, crabs, and corals with an eyedropper or turkey baster if you havent thought of this already. Saves on the waste of food that gets swept under your rock and into your sand that can rot and raise ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in your tank. Good luck!

Archived