Pod Your Reef

10 gallon clean up crew

sunshine24156

what do you guys suggest for a 10 gallon clean up crew?....snail type, numbers...i dont want to use hermits and would rather use nass. and bumblebees. what do you guys suggest?

Why not put a couple of scarlet hermits in there?? They're fun to watch, not very destructive, and very docile.

Personally, I'd need to know more about the tank to suggest type/quantity of snails. You don't want to drop too many in there if the tank is new, as they might wipe out their food source. Going slow and adding a couple at a time is probably best for you. What types of algae are growing in your tank right now? Different snails have different appetites :)

bumblebee snails tend to stay in the sand and work their magic in the substrate. There are other snails for cleaning glass.

Check out garf.org and look at their clean up crew pages. They describe the type of algae and what type of critter will get rid of it. I wouldn't order from them after reading page upon page of complaints at RC.

heh heh heh. try 4 Astrea, 4 Turbos, 3 nasscarius, 6 trochus, 4 bumble bee, and 12 "pinhead" Blue leg hermits, 3 scarlet reef hermits. its worked well fer me. Oh and have some extra shells fer the crabs.

OR USE THIS.

Chufa,

Biologists don't actually know what bumblebees eat (it is kinda a big debate)... However, I can tell you from my own observations that they consume ditritus and bits of left over food... They won't touch the algae in you tank! ;) You need other snails in the tank for this... Just make sure you have a good mix of snails and you won't have to worry about what snails eat what algae and so on, simply because they are already in the tank! I like to keep it heavy on the astreas, as they consume a wide variety of algae spp.

If you want to avoid hermits (which I am currently working on getting rid of mine) you could substitute them with nass and bumblebees! I say 1/2 to 1 of these little scavengers per gallon (but that is just an estimate... they are slow, and you may find that you need more). -This is aprox what I will be trying...

try 4 Astrea, 4 Turbos, 3 nasscarius, 6 trochus, 4 bumble bee, and 12 "pinhead" Blue leg hermits, 3 scarlet reef hermits.

Damn, Dave, that sounds like a lot. ???

I have a couple of red-legged hermits, five or so unknown snails (gotta get some photos), assorted stomatella (hitchhikers), and one turbo in my 10g. That seems to be sufficient; I don't see any hair algae, diatoms, or other nasty stuff.

LOL, I agree with gobies... that's WAY more than I have in my 12 gallon!

astrea pop unknow (was 4 or 5, couple of casualties recently thanks to my ex-hermit), 1 cerith, 1 black turbon (small), 1 queen conch, 2 bumblebees, 2 nass., and 1 little hermit (he will be going to ladyamanda soon though)... -they seem to do a pretty good job (even though I'm running my nitrate factory bio-wheel -LOL, sorry couldn't resist throughing that in).

Over here I have seen for sale astreas, turbos, and bumblebees (the latter which I got). I stayed away from astreas because of reports here that they die when they fall on their backs. I also stayed away from turbos, because the ones I have seen are huge. I haven't seen any nassarius (sp?) snails yet, maybe I'll look more for them.

My hermits are taking good care of hair algae. They of course can't clean the glass like a snail would do.

I like a clean tank. I have only lost 2 snails and 2 crabs in like 2 years, so they are growing and are happy. But thats just what I keep. Some tanks dont have anything cept a few turbos.

they can die if stuck somewhere that they cant reach a surface to right themselves (between glass and rocks) but they fare better than when a trigger or puffer fish is around... heheh Just do a quick head count each day. ye'll be ok.

> they can die if stuck somewhere that they cant reach a surface to right themselves (between glass and rocks)

I found my turbo upside down three times the other day (first time I've seen him stuck, and he does it three times in one day!) -- just make sure you put them back on rock if you have to rescue them.

> but they fare better than when a trigger or puffer fish is around...

X)

Please ignore the jokester in the corner. :P

Archived