ReefCleaners.org

I got a manderin in a 5g

doody

I just wanted to share.

I found an lfs who had a manderin that eats frozen/live brine, krill, and mysis. Yes I watched him eat all of them. I decide to buy him ($15). I am gonna try to get him on blood worm like I see so many suggest. The bloodworms I seen at the lfs say red mosquito larvae for fresh water fish. Is that what I want?

I'll try to get pics this weekend.

The problem with mandarins is that in order for them to survive in the long run they are going to need a very established large tank. It will die after so long eating those types of food.

Not to be an ass but I really wish they wouldnt sell these kinds of fish. I guess if we stopped buying them then the supply would diminish since the demand would not be there.

Its sad.

yes, frozen bloodworms are a good source of protein if your fish will eat them. i think bill was just saying 5 gal is just a little small for a mandarin to swim around... i don't think he was talking about supporting one off the pods produced in a 5 gal.

yea mine is in a 40 gallon ubt i would be hesitant about a tiny tank, i'd heard that even if they look like they are eating enough they end up not having enough nutrition in the long run but good luck with it

I am planning a 29g right now, but it wont be till after xmas till it gets up and running. Even after that i will let it run a while. I'll keep you all informed of my hope to be success with him. Like I said I'm gonna do all I can for the little fella.

I also have a mandarin in a small tank, he eats frozen blood worms, frozen enriched brine and mysis. The only problem with a mandarin that eats this stuff in a small tank is over feeding which causes algae and a chance of an ammonia spike and, or a tank crash, I feed mine twice a day and I still dont think it is enough food for him. Its a rough job keeping a mandarin in small tank and very stressful...

Good Luck

you go doody. so long as he's healthy. i'd definatly add a proteine skimmer and a fuge to help the little guy out. wish i could find one of those that ate prepared food. would be pimp tastic.

I got a AC300 as a fuge.I also got a large clean up crew that shhould help. I got 12-14 vibex nass, 2 astreas, 2 carithss, 1 emerald green, two red tip legg hermits and about 7 mini brittle stars.

nah bro i mean a man sized fuge. :P ac500's are of for normal nanos. but you my friend have a beast of a fish to take care of. i'd run at leatst a 5gal if not a 10 gal loaded with macro alge and lr. pod heaven so to speak. just my 2 cents.

Archived