Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY Overflow for Power Filter

jyoon951

I am considering trying to make an overflow/surface skimmer for a HOB power filter. i was thinking you could just use a slightly larger tube than the HOB intake, plug the bottom, and cut some slits on the top. it would only take up a little additional room. anyone try this? i would probably have to cut the filter a little but no big deal.

At first thought, I would worry about it having too much air in the intake tube, and not being able to suck up the water. I would think something like in the attached image would work better. The red part is the modifcation.

It's probably pretty obvious from the picture (if my sketch isn't too crude), but water is skimmed from the surface by the added pipe, and flow into the bottom of the intake, and gets sucked up normally.

If the water level in the tank gets too low, form evaporation, it could make a lot of noise and possibly seize. But if maintained, it could work quite well.

Matthew

I have actually done this exact thing with my 2 1/2 gallon. I took a small piece of 2" pvc tall enough for the tank... capped the bottom and then cut slits around the top. My hang on power filter intake sits directly down inside of it. This is perfect as it looks like a corner surface skimmer and the return water provides enough circulation for the tank size.

Add 2 cheap 13w PC's from AHSupply and some wood for a hood and for less than $100 bucks you have a nano with complete circulation, surface skimming, and ample PC lighting.

zam man, that's exactly what i was thinking, maybe my first post wasn't real clear, i want the intake tube sitting inside the skimmer tube, that way it will take less room. i saw the pre-made surface skimmers and although they are said to work great, appear to take up a lot of room.

one other thing, what happens to the surface scum that gets collected? can the ply filter filter it out? or does it just return to the tank only in small bits?

Usually I don't have anything in there..... just use it for circulation, agitation, and keeping the gunky film off the top. So I guess yes it just returns to the tank. Sometimes I will put some filter media in to polish the water but that's it. This goes for my 12gal too (although it has a skimmer). With enough good rock and water changes everything is happy. You can see the 12gal in the members section.

Oh and you could keep a heater in the powerfilter too!

so if you aren't actually removing any of the scum, is there really any benefit in "surface skimming" other than it looks better and maybe a little better airation? i guess that's reason enough?

well you could easily run a sponge or filter floss stuff in there maybe even some carbon. Yes it looks better! It mainly keeps the stuff disolved or suspended within the water so that the biological filtration of the rocks etc... can work on it easier.

The only problem with putting filter media in there is that you need to make sure you maintain it and keep it clean... otherwise it will become a nitrate factory! I'm lazy and would much rather not have to worry about it.. but do occasionally put something in there when it needs it. With a tank of this size and small bioload it seems to be alright as is.

Archived