Top Shelf Aquatics

Lawnmower Blenny, Scarlet Reef Hermits or Queen Conch

Thee1nOnly

Hello everyone,

I have some algae hair popping up on my LR in my 20 gallon tank. So far my cleanup crew consists of some astreas, cerith and nassarius snails and a cleaner shrimp. I'm debating on whether to add a couple of scarlet reef hermits or go with the lawnmower blenny to take care of the hair algae. I'm leaning towards getting the lawnmower blenny but I don't know if I would be exceeding my bioload since I all ready have a royal gramma and 2 false percs. On the other hand, if I get the crabs and some extra empty shells, they might go after my snails anyway?!?

So should I get the crabs or the blenny? Or is there something else that I can add like a Queen Conch though I understand those can dislodge my LR? Any help is appreciated.

I had a huge problem with hair algae and my LFS recommended a Sally Light Foot Crab. He does a pretty good job munching on hair algae all the time and he really doesn't add much of a bio-load.

I have a sally lightfoot, and IMO, it's more trouble than good; aggressive little bastage who doesn't eat enough algae to warrant its troubles. Mine hates all other arthropods, so far.

As for Lawn mower blenny I have on funnny as hell to watch but is very picky about what algae he will eat. So i would go with the recomendations stated above, unless you want a good laugh anyways.

A queen conch is out simply because it will grow much too large for your tank. The algae blenny would be a maybe, but I personally wouldn't want to add the extra bioload to the tank.

If I were you, I would go with scarlet hermits or an emerald crab. There really shouldn't be much of an issue with the life expectancy of the scarlets.

HTH

scarletknight06

my hermits wont touch my algae ( there a few patches of hair algae growing). i dont want to add another fish. so an emerald crab would be good?

I've also noticed some bubble algae, anything that will eat this?

Thanks JustPhish! Apparently I didn't do enough research on the Queen Conch... I've read it can grow up to 12 inches and you are right - that's way too big for my 20G!

Now I'm debating between the Sally Light Foot and Emerald Crab. The Lawnmower Blenny is funny to watch but then again, that can get pretty big as well and I don't need the added bioload.

scarletknight06, I've read that the Emerald Crab will eat algae, including bubble algae. I'm not sure if the Sally Light Foot or the Lawn Mower Blenny will eat it.

Archived