Coral Vue Hydros

Zoo polyps being eaten by bristleworms

ReefDiver

I have a rock that was loaded with green/blue

zoo's. Recently I've noticed the polyps missing and

laying below the live rock on the sand. Two nights

ago at about 3:00 am I got up and looked in the

aquarium, the rock was covered with bristleworms.

I also noticed a small brittle starfish that lives in

a hole on the rock that zoos are on. I'm going

to start pulling the bristle worms out of the aquarium

when I find them on the rock. The zoo's have been

in the aquarium for about 3 months and have been

fine until just recently.

I'll post before and after pics when I get home. If I stay

up late tonight, I'll get a pic of the rock with all the worms

on it.

RD

Yeah!!! I noticed my zoos are not opening up as often.

One nigh I saw few bristleworms surrounding the zoo patch.

When I tried to pull it out, it was pulling the zoo patch (small patch) with it...

How do you get rid of those worms? Are those harmful to the zoos?

Art

Most 'bristleworms' are cleanup. They aren't eating the zoas unless they are dying. There are exceptions, but usually only larger worms eat zoas. Check for crabs if polyps are being ripped off.

I don't recall reading anywhere that bristleworms were

harmful to zoo's and I've had zoo's in my tank for 4 months

now and I've never had any problems "until now". I'm pretty

sure the bristleworms are causing my problem. I've been

collecting the loose zoos and I've been gluing them to

another rock. Some to the bristleworms are big about

7 or 8 inches long.

Bristleworms will almost never bother corals unless the coral is dead or dying. If your bristleworms are becoming a problem you may want to add a shrimp to keep there population in check. If you have to many bristleworms and some are just getting to big, you could try a bristleworm trap.

Personally, I've got some b worms in my tank that are a good 6 inchs or so long, and they never eat any corals. I have seen them on rocks with zoo's but the seem to always be working between the polyps. Once the worm is gone, I've never noticed signs of damage.

The only inverts that have ever showed intest in eating my zoo's are an Emerald Crab that wiped out about three colonies, and nudibranchs.

Bumblebee snails graze on algae and detritous, mine

have never shown any interest in the zoo's. It could

be that the bristleworms are rooting around and knocking

the polyps off the rock. I'm seeing little clumps of zoo

polyps all over my sand. They fully open when the lights

are on. I've been gathering them up and ive been

reataching them to another rock.

What kind of shrimp is good at bristleworm control? I

currently have a peppermint shrimp. All he ever does

is hang upside down and sway in one of the caves. I've

seem it do some scavaging around my shrooms.

coral banded does great in my tank..i havent seen any in my tank that got as big as 6 inches but then again i have had the coral banded for a month and i havent seen one since then....

My Peppermint shrimp just seems to hang upside down in

one of the caves, it never even ventures to the side of the

aquarium where all my zoos are.

I went to my favorite LFS and told them about my dilemna. They

told me that the bristle worms will bite of the base of the polyps,

hence all the loose polyps floating around on the sand. Josh

the mgr suggested that I get an arrow crab. So I picked one up

and he's in the tank. Hanging out on my affected zoo rock, he

told me that the arrow crabs are good at combatting bristle

worm infestations. I guess I'll find out tonight.

On a side note, my wife hates spiders and the arrow crab

freaked her out.

• 4 weeks later...

I stumbled on a great way to rid my tank of bristleworms. I took a wooden Shiskabob stick. You know the thing you cook with that has a pointed end. Anyway I stuck a small piece of shrimp on the pointy end and stuck that end just into the sand and turn the tank lights off. The worms come right out to get the shrimp and they wrap themselves around the stick. I pull it out and presto one less worm. I've tried the trap and they go in and then come out so you have to get up in the night and check it all the time. Also the Arrow Crab I have will get the very small worms but leaves the bigger ones along. I have been pulling a couple of big ones out each evening. I have never noticed them eating any Zoo's but no since taking a chance. Some reefers don't mind them because they do eat waste but I just don't like the looks of them crawling around in there so I hunt them down.

Originally posted by Scribe53

Am I mistaken, aren't bumble bee snails notorious for eating zoo's or is that a different kind of snail.

Different kind, Heliacus sp. snail. Check here for more info on them: http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_page...s/faq_rock2.htm

Peps are not notorious zoa eaters either. I have two that haven't bothered any with the exception of the yellow polyps and that was my error (look so much like aiptasia). Some have had problems with them but you cannot lump all of them in one category either.

Originally posted by phergus_25

arrow crabs are not reef safe, they will rip us soft corals i would take it back, look on livaquaria on the livestock page

The arrow's been in there a month and things are fine. It

hasn't damaged my shroom's, rics, zoos or anything else. I've

seen it munching on small-medium bristle worms at night, and

he gets a flake of food several times a week.

I believe as long as the arrow crab has a source of live beef(bristle worms) he probably wont mess with the prized beef (Zo0zS). My arrow crab pigs out on hair algea all day long, I thought they were carnivors.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this link about zoo eating snails in the general

discussion area. I had one of these snails living among

my affected zoo's.

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/picture_p...q_heliacus.html

Quote from Reefs.org

There is a very strong chance that this is a Heliacus sp. snail (Order: Mesogastropoda, Family: Architectonicidae). They are a hitchhiker commonly found on colonies of zoanthid polyps. A distinguishing characteristic of this snail is that the "door" (operculum) that covers the animal when it retracts into its shell is cone shaped (as seen on the picture page). This snail is a nocturnal predator of zoanthid polyps and should be removed. When removing this snail, be sure to check for smaller ones nestled in between the polyps.

I never had bristleworms eat any of my zoos, but I have caught some pods eating them, I just added a moonlight and I haven't seen as many, bristleworms and pods don't like to be out in the light I guess.

Archived