Pod Your Reef

Will ich die eventually if fish asymptomatic?

ratched

Hello. I have read a great deal about ich but cannot find a definitive answer to my question. I have 2 clowns who developed ich shortly after purchase about 6 months ago. Also have a bicolor blenny who never showed signs. At any rate, I " treated " the tank with garlic for several weeks and the ich "went away". I am aware that it cycles over and over in the gravel, etc. I am wondering if my fish are symptom free for a year or so, is the ich erradicated from the tank? Seems I read this somewhere? That after several life cycles ( the ich) that it will die off without a host. I think i read it takes one year. Or perhaps this is not true if the fish harbor the parasite unseen? I would like to add one more fish to my tank at some point, but of course, am trying to be cautious. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

i was wondering the same thing, i had a green clown goby god rest his soul he died sometime friday night but i am sure that it was ich that killed him, it was the only fish that got ich i gave him freshwater baths to get rid of it and then i had a cleaner shrimp in the tank which seemed to cure the prob completely until my 2 peppermint shrimp killed it and then the goby got the ich again and died abut 2 weeks later I have a hi fin red banded and a yellow watchmen which have never shown the first signs of ich and hopefully they won't, it just sux the cleaner shrimp died because the lfs has not gotten any in for like 3 weeks and now i have not 1 shrimp in my tank since i took the evil peppermints back, and they also haven't gotten my pistol shrimp in yet I think i have been waiting on it for around a month and a half

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't get much response since posting my original question. I did add a goby last month - no signs of ich. Clowns are still okay after 6 months. I do believe the original garlic really helped- as they had a very bad infection. Am still wondering what the life cycle of the ich really is if the fish show no signs. It will be one year next March. I find it hard to believe that ich can remain forever in a tank if not hosting on a fish to complete the cycle. ( at least not visible , anyway).???

Sorry to hear about your clown goby. i love those fish. In fact, I bought one last month but had to return him.. I felt really guilty but he would not leave my clam alone.:(

How to treat a tank with garlic? My royal gramma has started to show sign of ick and I fed it food dipped with garlic but it didn't show any interest to eat the food.

Also I have a cleaner shrimp. Although the shrimp and the fish are about the same size, but look like the royal grammar is afraid of the shrimp's antenna and avoid being cleaned!

Help!

I used the "garlic extreme" that comes in a bottle and soaked the food for about 20 min. Fish are supposed to "like" it. Mine just gobbled it up so unsure why your's won't eat. Maybe not feeling good enough to eat???

Archived