Pod Your Reef

Shaking clowns..?

tgoodrich

OK, this probably sounds pretty stupid but have any of you seen clowns or any other fish "shake" like they are having convulsions or seizures? Both of my clowns do this and I have also seen my Cichlids do it. Any ideas what this is about? A dominance thing? Terroritorial issue? Play?

Thanks in advance,

TG

It's a dominance thing. One of them will go into its little siezures to indicate submission to the other one. Usually, you'll first see it when the both of them are fighting, then finally one (the male-to-be) will tremble, and the fight will stop temporarily. This will happen again and again, until it gets to the point that the dominant one just has to swim up next to the submissive one, and "he" will tremble.

A couple weeks later, this behavior will stop and they'll enter the next stage of courtship (and the submissive one will complete his metamorphisis into a male).

Matthew

This is probably not what you are reffering to but clowns will exibit the same behavior when trying to get other fish to leave the territory. They will actually use this shaking to "thrash" into or against the invading fish. -I have seen this tactic many times.... It is interesting to me that when they do it with their own species they are being submissive.... interesting thought...

I have kept cichlids for about 8 years and mine do this little shaking all the time. I can tell you that their shaking is a sign that they are ready to spawn. I have a mated pair of frontosas that have bred probably 10 times and I only see them do their shaking before they spawn. I am still unsure if it is a sign to the opposite sex that it is time or if it is a sign to other fish that they better stay away. In fact I saw a National Geographic special on the Rift Lake Cichlids and they said they were not sure which of the two roles this dance plays. I can't be sure if it applies to clowns or any other saltwater fish because cichlids are mouthbrooders but I would guess that is what is going on. And don't worry I have never had a fish death because of this behavior. I hope this helps you out.

Pete

To put it more simply, the shaking is a show of strength. What it does is the fish creates little waves that can be sensed by other fish that can therefore feel the shaking fish's power. It is very common of cichlids, particularly the most agressive ones. My M. Johanni does it all the time, even on his own reflection. It looks very funny.

Clownfish and damsels are related to cichlids, so it is not surpising that they exhibit this behavior. This show of strength is used appropriately both in mating and in intimidation/agressive behavior.

chufa:

This seems kind of contrary to the point you were driving at, but in intereactions between two clownfish, it is the weaker, submissive one that does the shaking.

Perhaps its the same mechanism, but if so, it seems to have dual uses. A dominant clown will tend to nip and brute-force bulldoze into the clowns she is trying to intimidate other clowns.

As for an established pair spawning.... The only time I see this tremoring is when the female gets more aggressive with the male, which tends to happen before (and after) she lays her eggs.

I've never been into cichlids, so I can't comment on their behavior. But in clowns, at least within their own unit, the tremoring is definitely a submissive thing.

I agreed with printerdown. It is a territorial thing. I have seen this happen to my clowns. When I introduced a maroon to my tank, while it is still in the bag, my false percula was doing that all the time. Then when the maroon gets into the tank ... wow ... they fight really vigorously. So, I am pretty sure this is not courtship but a territorial thing.

I would wager that you are correct. Which would support a dual-use hypothesis. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a defensive display was also used for courtship, although I can't say I've heard of many cases where it was use submissively in courtship, as it is in clowns.

Just bought a couple of Yellow-Tailed Damsels to cycle my 30 gallon and immdeiatly one of them (the bigger one) started doing it. It will swim up to the smaller one and turn "sideways" and start shaking, followed by a burst of speed and a nip in tail fin. In this case I believe it is an aggression issue. However my clowns are "paired up" so to speak. They hardly ever leave each other presents and they exhibit the shaking during what I would call "Play Time".

• 2 weeks later...

My damsel started shaking at the clown when the clown was first introduced to the tank. But the clown didn't shake at all, maybe coz he was new to the tank, but they did divide up the territory.

The clown took the space in the lower tank under the arch made by the live rock and the damsel took the upper tank.

Shaking stopped after this.

Archived