Cultivated Reef

Stocking 10 Gallon Nano

NanoReefTexas

I've finally found a bunch of corals/invertebrates that I want for my tank, and I need to know (mind you I'm buying them all small or frag sized) if they'll all work together. I have 150 watt metal halide on a 10 gallon tank, temp of 80 degrees (tropical), 15 lbs. Lalo LR, 30 lbs. LS, 1 Emeral Crab 3/4", 18" HOB Refuguim/Sump, Penguin Mini Bio-Wheel HOB Filter, The list is as follows:

1. Deep Blue Mushroom Polyps

2. Bright Yellow Devils Hand Leather Coral

3. Bright Orange Tree Sponge

4. Bright Red Tree Sponge

5. Bali Blue/Super Blue Staghorn Coral (Frag)

6. Bali Neon Green Staghorn/Slimmer

7. Hot Pink Birds Nest Coral

8. Red Sea Fan

9. Yellow Tree Gorgian

10. Purple Sea Rod Gorgian

11. Lilac/Lavender Staghorn Coral

12. 4" T. Maxima Clam

13. Red & Black Feather Duster Tube Worm

14. Mandarin Dragonet (Fish)

Before you all flame me, I understand that mandarin dragonets are not recomended for a tank of my size due to their habit of only accepting live food, those miniscule white pods that run around LR. My 10 gallon is crawling with them, and while I realize the mandarin will desimate their numbers quickly, I also intend on dosing the tank constantly with such fare for feeding corals and the clam, and of course the mandarin. The size of the fish meets my tank, I know that. Also, I have a source to buy more readily as needed, and am prepared to culture them in a seperate tank and in the refuguim if needed. Yes I know it sounds like alot of extra work, but I love mandarins, and accept that if I am going to have one, that it will have special needs, that I need to be ready to meet those needs. As for the above list, that is all I intend to add to this tank, period. With the only possible exception being a snail/linka sea star/lettuce nudibranch for algae clean up on the glass. So what'a ya'll think? Is this too much considering my filtration? If it is, can I add a 5 - 10 gallon sump/refuguim so that it's do-able? (I am thinking of doing that anyway for pod culturing).

You may not now but corals do not have a high bio-load. So that means that you do not have to have as much filtration when keeping corals. High filtration is required when you have a lot of fish in a ten gallon tank. This is due to them eating food that can decay and also the waste that fish put out. So this is not a unresonable amout for your tank.

P.S. Maxima clams require a high amount of calcium and also require an established tank. So if it hasnt been running for more than 5 months i wouldnt recommend keeping one at this time. Same goes for anenomes.

Thanks 10intx,

I am also looking at a small HOB skimmer (an up to 40 gallon) modle, I don't mind excess filtration it just leaves more margin for human error and a still alive reef right? I plan on dosing calcium espescially, trace elements, coral vitae, and a few other good kent products, I'll be changing about 2 gallons a week from my water, and testing it weekly. Do you think with all this, that I could safely add a small 3/4" ocellaris clown and possibly one of these nickel sized anemones? Reason I ask is because it seems like my filtration is over kill, so can my tank handle it if I add all that I've previously stated? By the way, this link shows the anemone I am thinking of buying, it's at the bottom. And hte ocellaris I want is the black and white variety, though I'm willing to settle for a common orange and white. Oh, am also considering adding one rotating power head, something designed for a 20 - 30 gallon tank, adjusted to flow lower, so thatit doesn't have to run at max capacity, and will last longer. Of course, I intend to get a guard of some sort, so none of my inhabitants get sucked up and spat out in twenty pieces or more.

http://www.exoticreefs.us/farmer_greg_hiller.htm

Archived