ToeCutter

This is on a 10 gal

Features I like:

Built in topoff reservoir

2 15W T8 6500K overdriven bulbs (4X ) for total wattage of around 100W

Top opens

Aqua-2002-sep%20011.jpg

Aqua-2002-sep%20012.jpg

The green thing is a valve to control drip rate. I may try to change from a drip to something that will dose to the right water level automatically (my original plan)

Aqua-2002-sep%20013.jpg

Lights off

Aqua-2002-sep%20014.jpg

top view showing kitchenaid "shoebox" with lid on - ballast on each side (yes, mounting on the back would have been better for cooling, and yes I have GFCI )

Aqua-2002-sep%20015.jpg

same top view with kitchenaid lid off - showing some weird bulkhead i found in a hardware store.

Aqua-2002-sep%20016.jpg

full view

Aqua-2002-sep%20017.jpg

The bulkhead connects a short tube that's capped with 1/2 inch pvc cap, which is drilled for airline connector.

Hey, nice topoff system....and nice hood design. Don't think I've seen one built into a hood. Do you control the drip amount, or does it just flow when the water level goes below the tube?

Ross

Currently, I have to adjust the drip rate to match the evap - but my original plan was to have it self-regulate, and I'll probably attempt that... just trying to design something that won't require a float valve or anything mechanical at all.

Interesting. It has merit as potental for large canopy topped tanks. Arent U concerned about shorting your lights or end cap corrosion since U have an open top? waht is the tank next to it?

open top? on the water container? it's closed, I just show one pic with the top off.

There's definitely some concern about shorts/corrosion. I tried to mount the wire nuts in in a way that water can't drip into them. I could probably have wrapped some foam around the endcaps, too. So far no problems. The circuit is protected by GFCI.

I'm actually more concerned with water splashing onto the endcaps from airstone bubbles than from the topoff system.

Also, all of the parts are dirt cheap. The endcaps are less than $1 each. The entire lighting system was under $60 including bulbs. I don't know if I would want to the topoff system on a full sized tank. But the low tech design fits with a nano nicely.

The tank next to it is my 75 gal reef. Sometime, I'll set up a real website with pics.

Archived