Cultivated Reef

Question for all you GSP owners....

HobokenAddict

I have a nice frag of GSP that is actively taking over the rock i put it on(what I wanted) and is vibrant green and always extended. I do notice that towards the end of the photo period, the polyps stay out but they curl the green polyps a bit. In the morning before the photo period, they are usually out and don't curl. My water parameters are 1.025 SG, 0 Am, 0 Nitrite, 5 nitrates, calcium stays above 400, and alkalinity is in the 120 range.

Is this a normal reaction for green star polyps?

Thanks

Flananuts the Hoboken Addict

What you describe is exactly what happens with my mats of GSP around the tank. At the end of the photoperiod, they start to look all deflated and curl into themselves. I've got my lights on a timer, so I've attributed their behavior to them recognizing when my tank lights come on/off.

Mine also curl up a bit when I am dosing phyto or zoo. I think they do this when they "feed" as well.

My GSP is generally most extended just before the lights come on and least extended just before they go off.

my gsp are almost always out. But as long as we are talking gsp one of my crabs was on frag. I was wondering if he was eating them or what? He is a hermit crab, is there any reason to be conserned?

pineomt: I have a hermit crab (a red reef hermit, to be exact...) and he clambers all over the GSP mats in his ever-ongoing quest to clean. At the slightest touch, the polyps will retract back into their bases to protect themselves. Most likely, your hermit is cleaning around your tank and he just so happens to be on your GSP mat when you looked. Just as long as that purple GSP mat isn't receding, it's okay.

Archived