ReefCleaners.org

im pissed! (again)

johnrags1234

alright so i ordered from coral dynamics and when i got home from school my xenia was dead. i had my mom prop the bags open and sit them on my fish table. i was at first thinking it was my fault because i got home at 237 and the shippment came at 1000 but she said the whole thing STUNK! i dont realy want to return a 15 dolar piece and pay 25 for shipping and it does show some signs of life. half of the polyps fell off the colony exposing just the stalks. the others look okay. so is it possible it might pull through?? im goin to the lfs this weekend any suggest any nice lesser priced corals. oh yeah how long should it take for brown star polyps to open up? thanks!

I don't get how the polyps could fall off the stalk ? They're one piece ??? are u sure they just arn't open. Don't make asumptions just yet, maybe they are still alive.

Xenia polyps can dropped from the stalks they're on. It's a form of reproduction that allows the polyps to be carried away to new locations and start a new colony.

I usually only see it under conditions of stress, though. Odds are it's the xenia trying to save itself by moving to a new location.

Afterwards, all that's left behind is a stalk with many branches, but no polyps. Kinda like a leafless tree in winter.

Heh, I barely remember what those look like. I've been in SoCal too long now.

Or maybe not long enough.

Anyway....

I have read somewhere that the polyps will grow back over time (1 month I think?). If I can find the article in my favorites I'll post it (if I can figure out how). Like NanoReefer53 said don't make assumptions yet, they still may pull through. Good Luck.

Important question: what color is the water (if tinted, how dark is it)!???!!!??? -thanks... also xenia releases something under stress that does stink... kida has a metallic smell to it (perhaps it is iodine based???)! If you do decide to put the xenia in your tank, just remember if it starts to disintegrate pull the matter out of your tank!! The parts that begin to disintegrate won't stop... so don't hesitate to pull them.

Dude... hope is NOT lost. Add the remaining stalks and body of the xenia to yer tank. if it is not so stressed that it is dead and all slime, it will recover. I shipped some xenia that over heated, it did the same, but recovered nicely... actually its like a weed now in this dudes tank, and he is farming it too ! IF it is all dead, send me 35.00 S/H and Ill send U some GOOD Xenia.

well the stalks kept gettin gooyer and gooyer so i pulled em out i dont want to pollute my tank. BTW the water did smell it smell like a little metalic and realy rotten btw im not gonna ship anymore not worth it imo, but the place is the next town over but he said it might be kinda hard to find a time for me to pick em up.

thank you so much for the offer rick, but please dont worry about it. you were a joy to do bussinness with and the other frags were in AWESOME shape. I love my brown star polyps they are beautiful. I definently reccomend coral dynamics by the way if you havent ordered from him please do, it takes pressure from our hobby of the reefs

Archived