Top Shelf Aquatics

Do RO Membranes with higher GPD Capacity produce water faster?

Muffin87

I'll have to buy a new RO/DI unit.

The cheap in-line unit I got never gave me 0 TDS. Always 3 TDS (and it's does have a DI filter).

I have a 16G tank so I don't need a lot of water, but I live in a small apartment and hate waiting for my 50 GPD RO membrane to produce water. The noise of the booster pump isn't pleasant.

If the RO/DI unit that I'll buy has a 75 / 100 GPD RO membrane, will it produce water faster than my current 50 GPD membrane does now?

Christopher Marks

Yes, absolutely. GPD = Gallons per day, as long as the water pressure is available and the water isn't too cold. It sounds like you have a booster pump already, that will greatly accelerate your production.

You may be able to simply replace the RO membrane and filter cartridges in your existing unit, to the higher specification membrane with a fresh set of pre filters. Most are standard sized. Check with one of our Sponsors, they can definitely help you out.

Just now, HarryPotter said:

If 100 gallons per day is more than 10 gallons per day, it probably is producing water faster. 

I didn't know if the "Gallons per day" referred to the quantity of water it can produce in a day, or the maximum quantity it should produce per day to avoid damaging the unit.

29 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

as long as the water pressure

I get to 100 PSI with the booster pump. Anybody know if that's enough for a 100 GPD RO membrane?

22 minutes ago, Muffin87 said:

I didn't know if the "Gallons per day" referred to the quantity of water it can produce in a day, or the maximum quantity it should produce per day to avoid damaging the unit.

I get to 100 PSI with the booster pump. Anybody know if that's enough for a 100 GPD RO membrane?

Yes.... that’s enough for much more. Read product descriptions and they will tell you. 

59 minutes ago, Muffin87 said:

I have a booster pump with double membrane, producing an estimated 150gpd. I definitely produce water at a faster rate than before I added second 75gpd. BRS has a video all about dual membrane. They also state 90psi is the maximum threshold as fittings can start to fail. When I moved last year i had to buy the booster pump. Mine is dialed in at 80psi, I believe BRS says 60psi is adequate.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

3 TDS is still very good as far as I'm concerned.  Obviously, 0 is ideal.  Which brand do you have?  I have the 50gpd Aquatic Life RO Buddie and I couldn't be happier.  My TDS meter reads around 90 pre RODI and 0 post.  I believe they have a 100 gpd version.   I couldn't be any happier for the price and performance.  Also, you might want to think about buying a water jug or some storage container.  I bought 3 cheap 5 gallon water bottles from walmart.  I keep them filled and capped until I need to use it.  It's a pain, but it beats waiting for rodi water. 

P.S.  what tds is your tap water at pre filtration and also, your tds meter might be off a little bit.

17 hours ago, fot80 said:

Which brand do you have? 

I'm in Italy. The brand is "aqpet", which probably says nothing to you. It's a 4 stage in-line RO/DI unit.

I bought 3 cheap 5 gallon water bottles from walmart.  I keep them filled and capped until I need to use it.  It's a pain, but it beats waiting for rodi water. 

That's what I do as well, but my apartment is quite small and I try not to have huge jugs lying around on the floor.

what tds is your tap water at pre filtration

My tap water ranges from 220 to 260 TDS. Probably not the best tap water, but could be worse? Not sure what the average is, but I'd be curious to know.

your tds meter might be off a little bit.

Bought two meters and they both say 3. They're the same exact model, but they must have been calibrated with different batches of ro/di water, I'd assume?

3 TDS is still very good as far as I'm concerned.  Obviously, 0 is ideal.

That's the thing. Reefers online seem to be very divided as to whether anything higher than 0 TDS RO/DI is okay.

And I'm a beginner, so I'm trying to be on the safe side, having already had some algae problems.