ReefCleaners.org

Eshopps nano vs Icecap nano

canoman

Looking for opinions on this. I have a im skimmer that’s been ok for the last couple months but I’m looking for change. For those who are using the eshopps or icecap skimmer on there IM 20 or 25 lagoon what are your thoughts. 

I've been wondering about this comparison too. I've put off getting a skimmer to wait for more reviews of the icecap to come out. I definitely saw a few negatives in the little I've searched.

Eshopps is working good for me. I don’t have experience with a lot of skimmers to compare to, but it’s a simple design, not much to go wrong, and the sicce pump is easily found online. I’m getting tea color skim w/ chunks, but I have a light bio load for now and haven’t tried adjusting it any darker. My only complaint is it’s not silent, can def hear it running. Took a few days from new before it developed a foam head. 

I was holding out on the icecap but got tired of waiting for it to get back in stock, I had an eshopps before and knew it worked, so bought another. 

2 hours ago, Mariner00 said:

Here's a pic of the eshopps nano pulling some decent skimmate. It's working out fantastic for what I need it for. Pleased with the purchase.

IMG_20180825_213003.jpg

Was there any major mods involved for the install?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 11:57 PM, Mariner00 said:

None at all. Fits into either of the number 2 chambers of the IM lagoon 25. It's a very quiet unit and easy to clean. 

Do you run the skimmer with the foam pad removed?

On 9/11/2018 at 8:39 PM, canoman said:

I pulled the trigger and ordered the ice cap nano skimmer. Should be here this Friday. I’ll give it a try for a couple of weeks 

I would like to see this skimmer in action as I'm thinking about purchasing one for my IM 20.

Almost a week since installing the icecap. Didn’t have any microbubbles issues at all. I ended up taken the skimmer apart and now the air silencer went quiet. Not super quiet but way better  than before. As for skimming, it’s pulling out some nasty stuff. I’m very happy with my purchase 

12 hours ago, canoman said:

Almost a week since installing the icecap. Didn’t have any microbubbles issues at all. I ended up taken the skimmer apart and now the air silencer went quiet. Not super quiet but way better  than before. As for skimming, it’s pulling out some nasty stuff. I’m very happy with my purchase 

Canoman, can you provide a few pictures or video of the skimmer in action?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you..   ended up going with the eshopps and installed it yesterday..  Will let you know..   

Just a quick question, the pump seems to be working well but should water get into the airline? I was playing with the silencer and noticed there's water in the airline but it is submerged under water so I think water will get in either way..

• 3 months later...

Not sure about the eshopps but the icecap was way too loud that after complaints from the wife i sold it. I have a heavy bio load and never gone past the tea color skimmate.

1st skimmer i tried was the ghost skimmer and I got sick of the micro bubbles. I’ve even tried the new nuvoskim dc skimmer but again I found it too loud. So I’m skimmerless for now till something new comes out. Just sticking to weekly 5g water changes 

4 minutes ago, canoman said:

1st skimmer i tried was the ghost skimmer and I got sick of the micro bubbles. I’ve even tried the new nuvoskim dc skimmer but again I found it too loud. So I’m skimmerless for now till something new comes out. Just sticking to weekly 5g water changes 

aren't micro bubbles a good thing?