inTank Media Baskets

Do I need a protein skimmer to have a successful reef tank ?

C2 da fish

I really don’t like the fact that I tried 2 skimmers and they cause micro bubbles in my tank , because I need to break it In I already have live stock and it seems to irrate them and plus my tank looks ugly filled with micro bubbles  . Should I do a large water change to try to fix what causing the micro bubbles ?

Short answer is no, lots of reefers are successful without skimmers. They are just another tool to help with nutrient and waste export. Impo, the larger the tank one is maybe not required but much helpful. Without a skimmer more detail to husbandry is required (water changes, filter media changes, vacuuming sand).

• Like 2

^agreed^ the short answer is no but i highly recommend using one.

no matter what equipment you have you should always keep to a vigorous maintenance schedule like the one gundog mentioned. a protein skimmer is not by any means a get out of jail free card. same maintenance is required from my experience i still have some algae issue. and need to siphon sand constantly.

• Like 2

Sorry, as to the bubbles.... all skimmers need a break in period. But is sounds like your venturi is taking in too much air. I don't know a whole lot about skimmers other than the 2 ive used. Most skimmers will have some way of adjusting air flow.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

Sorry, as to the bubbles.... all skimmers need a break in period. But is sounds like your venturi is taking in too much air. I don't know a whole lot about skimmers other than the 2 ive used. Most skimmers will have some way of adjusting air flow.

Which skimmer do you recommend? 

That all depends on size and type of aquarium. Is it an AIO, is it summped, etc. I ditched bubble magus DC A5 because I could not for the life of me get it dialed in. I went oversized and have a Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS 6" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer. It barley fits in my Trigger Systems emerald 26 sump, but I have had no problem with it, except limpets love my skimmer and block the venturi and calcium builds around them, blocking the venturi.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-150sss-6-internal-space-saving-skimmer.html

• Like 1

If you still have the skimmer , could you put it in a bucket of water from a water change to let it run through the break in time??  On some skimmers a filter sponge can be added to the return side to remove micro bubbles.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, straydog said:

If you still have the skimmer , could you put it in a bucket of water from a water change to let it run through the break in time??  On some skimmers a filter sponge can be added to the return side to remove micro bubbles.

thanks that sounds like a great idea ! I tried out aquamaxx hob1.5 but it was overflowing on my floor and crazy micro bubbles so now I'm stuck with the stock jbj 45 protein skimmer I also got my tank used btw and the skimmer does have a bubbles trap but still releases a lot of bubbles ! I also have an ATO

1 hour ago, tHeKrAk3N said:

how large is your tank?

1 hour ago, vegasgundog said:

I have the air on low but it releases still out in to the tank from the skimmer ill post a video when I get a chance 

1 hour ago, C2 da fish said:

HOB Skimmers can take a while to break in...... some reefers like to do a vinegar soak to help speed up the process. 

You do not have to have a skimmer to run a reef. I have a 12 Gallon and a 75 Gallon and do not run a skimmer on either.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

HOB Skimmers can take a while to break in...... some reefers like to do a vinegar soak to help speed up the process. 

You do not have to have a skimmer to run a reef. I have a 12 Gallon and a 75 Gallon and do not run a skimmer on either.  

Don’t want to hijack the thread but have any pics or link to the 75g? 

• Like 2

I ran a 20 gallon for 2 years without a skimmer and my tank has never looked better. The corals loved the nutrients. Growth and color was amazing. I added a skimmer about a year ago because I didn’t have the time to do weekly water changes anymore. Without a skimmer I ran a carbon reactor and occasionally GFO

4FF2A0D8-802A-4C43-8A6B-64340D4A3DEF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Thanks everyone for your feedback I appreciate it ! What should my maintenance schedule be like or what are some tips ? I’m just keeping it simple right now just doing water changes once weekly and testing . I’m gonna get Red Sea reef testing kit to test for elements and Hanna phosphate checker and start with that keeping it simple . And start with soft corals but I do love LPS!!!! Brain corals scoly and clams !

• Like 1
8 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

That’s a nice tank I didn’t read through everything tho but I’m also looking to get a bigger tank on Black Friday or around my birthday In November ! Im looking at 75 gallon like yours rimless or a 100 gallon but I have always been intimidated by the idea of having a sump and there’s so much options and this whole idea about a skimmer stresses me out . Did you post a link to where you and what tank you bought on that thread ? 

1 minute ago, C2 da fish said:

That’s a nice tank I didn’t read through everything tho but I’m also looking to get a bigger tank on Black Friday or around my birthday In November ! Im looking at 75 gallon like yours rimless or a 100 gallon but I have always been intimidated by the idea of having a sump and there’s so much options and this whole idea about a skimmer stresses me out . Did you post a link to where you and what tank you bought on that thread ? 

I bought the 75 Gallon tank from Glass Cages online. The stand was made by a man I found on Etsy. 

If you don’t want a sump or skimmer then don’t have one. All of my tanks are basic...... less things to worry about.  

• Like 2