ReefCleaners.org

Thoughts on stock list for 28G cube?

frito

Last night I started the cycle on my 28G NanoCube. I'm planning out my stock list and what I have come up with is:

• 1 (2?) Clown, domino/midnight if that matters
  • 1 Flame angel
  • 1 Yellow watchman goby 

Does that seem like a decent load? The only other thing I have considered would be adding a fire fish or green chromis to the list. 

• Like 1

You could definitely do a pair of clowns.  I'd be careful about adding a firefish to that mix.  I love firefish, but they are rather skittish and I don't know how it would hold up to a flame angel.  The flame angel will definitely be the most dominant with the female clown coming in close second.  Also, I've seen a few people do a yellow watchman in their cubes and I was strongly considering it at one point, but decided against it because they go through a lot of sand, very quickly.  You might have sand all over the tank and it sifts.

Stocking always depends on the bioload, water parameters, water changes, and most importantly, fish compatibility and swimming space.  My cube is overstocked, but all the fish appear happy and healthy and I have macros growing and now starting some turtle grass to add some variation.  I've got 2 clowns (still pretty small as I got them as juvis), 2 adult blue green chromis, 1 cherub angelfish, 1 large starry blenny, and 1 fang blenny.  I wouldn't recommend stocking this heavily until you get some more experience (if you're new to the hobby! - welcome 😄 ).

Also, don't go buy all these fish at the same time and throw them in, you'll need to add them gradually so your tank can catch up with their bioload.

• Like 1

Technically new to the hobby, but I've been lurking these forums/researching for a few months. I'm quite exited to finally get things going. I am of course moving slowly with new things and won't be adding lots of things at once. I have a few weeks to let things cycle and make up my mind as well 😉

I've never had an angel. Always worried about the coral nipping and bossy temperament.

2 clowns are great. They are very entertaining.

I love firefish but they are super skittish so that poses an issue with aggressive/semi aggressive fish, plus they are known jumpers.

Have you considered a blenny instead? They are fantastic fish full of character.

Wouldn’t do a dwarf angel personally in that size tank, specifically because a cube lacks length. I considered a dwarf angel for my standard 30 gallon as well but decided against it as I didn’t think it was enough space. Currently in my tank I have a clown pair, a fang blenny, and a good amount of inverts. I’ve had a 4th fish in the tank at times with no issues, the max I would probably ever do in that tank is 5 depending on what fish of course. I think 3-4 fish is a good number to start with though. Can’t go wrong with a clown pair  they’re excellent fish, I love mine. Fish I’ve had that I can reccomend are my blackline blenny (fang), royal gramma, and orchid dottyback. I could tell you more about what I like about those fish if you’d like too and give other recommendations although I won’t have owned them myself. Besides fish though there are plenty of cool inverts you can get too to fill up some space and liven things up, the porcelain crab I have is easily one of the coolest things I’ve ever gotten and people always comment on it when they see the tank.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jesseatam said:

Besides fish though there are plenty of cool inverts you can get too to fill up some space and liven things up, the porcelain crab I have is easily one of the coolest things I’ve ever gotten and people always comment on it when they see the tank.

I agree inverts are so cool and they don't add too much bioload 🙂 

I have a similar tank size to you with a 30G 2ft shallow reef. When I was going through my cycle I remember going over stocking time and time again trying to figure out the best combination.

Once I added the 'standard' 2 clownfish I quickly realised that 4 fish is going to be pretty close to the limit for that size tank (depending on species obviously)

I currently have the 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma and 1 flame angel.

There are heaps of statements that get thrown out there about the flames needing straight line swimming space, minimum 4ft, minimum 55 gallons etc. Reefkeeping is not an exact science, the health of your fish also depends on aquascaping, flow, bioload, feeding regime etc. My flame does just fine in my 30G.

One thing I would be wary of with the flame though would be the reef compatibility, I have SPS, LPS, softies and a clam in my mixed reef, however I feed 3 times a day in order to suppress its appetite.

So to keep a flame in a reef environment I would suggest feeding multiple times a day, which in turn will require excellent filtration and an efficient CUC.

Looking forward to seeing what you go for!

On 8/18/2018 at 3:42 PM, jesseatam said:

Wouldn’t do a dwarf angel personally in that size tank, specifically because a cube lacks length. I considered a dwarf angel for my standard 30 gallon as well but decided against it as I didn’t think it was enough space. Currently in my tank I have a clown pair, a fang blenny, and a good amount of inverts. I’ve had a 4th fish in the tank at times with no issues, the max I would probably ever do in that tank is 5 depending on what fish of course. I think 3-4 fish is a good number to start with though. Can’t go wrong with a clown pair  they’re excellent fish, I love mine. Fish I’ve had that I can reccomend are my blackline blenny (fang), royal gramma, and orchid dottyback. I could tell you more about what I like about those fish if you’d like too and give other recommendations although I won’t have owned them myself. Besides fish though there are plenty of cool inverts you can get too to fill up some space and liven things up, the porcelain crab I have is easily one of the coolest things I’ve ever gotten and people always comment on it when they see the tank.

I agree about the dwarf angel.  I've kept atlantic pygmy's and orangebacks in this size tank and they do pretty well, however they are significantly smaller than the dwarfs.  

A Little Blue

I got pair of clowns, purple firefish, Tailspot blenny and tiger goby (haven’t seen that one in a month tho, so not sure if he’s still there) in 30g without issues. Tailspot and Sixline in 14g frag tank. For both tanks I believe that I am pushing the limit as far as bioload is concern.  But I do feed heavy. Both fish and corals. 

I have a bicolor blenny in a 5.5g

Not only is the tank very healthy, the blenny has plenty of room to swim but being alone seems to make him skittish- he acts like a goby in rockwork 

I think in most cases bioload depends on the hobbyists care.

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I have a bicolor blenny in a 5.5g

Not only is the tank very healthy, the blenny has plenty of room to swim but being alone seems to make him skittish- he acts like a goby in rockwork 

I think in most cases bioload depends on the hobbyists care.

Agree. (And filtration ability to deal with nutrients and waste.)

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Agree. (And filtration ability to deal with nutrients and waste.)

I thought I would have issues but this tank has low nutrients.

I'd love another fish cause this blenny hides all the time. Same thing happened when I had a clown goby, never came out till I got a blenny.